Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The check gauges light came on yesterday. the voltmeter

Customer Question
The check gauges light...

The check gauges light came on yesterday. the voltmeter gauge was all the way to the left showing no charge. in shutting the engine off and restarting the gauge might show partial charge or normal charge. then today it seems normal. I checked the battery terminals, they were clean and tight. I put a load tester on it and with the engine idleing its showing 14 volts and the battery tests ok. my mechanic said I should hope for a bad alternator because the regulator is built into the computer and quite expensive to fix. what are your thoughts. truck has approx. 170,000 mis.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2003 Dakota 4.7 v8 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

Am not fixing it myself. checked the batt. terminals they were clean and tight. put a load tester on it , at idle it shows 14 volts also he batt. cks out ok under a load test

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/13/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 8 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Tell me did the check engine light come on when the voltmeter dropped?

Chris

I heard the chime then saw that the ck. gauges light was on and saw that the voltage gauge was showing no charge

Okay, then if the check engine light did not come on, then it is safe to say that the PCM (computer) is ok and replacing the alternator will take care of it.

Chris

OK thank you

You are welcome!

Chris

Chris

Hello, just checking back to see if you would maybe take a minute to rate or accept my service. If not, please let me know why so I can provide better service to my future customers.

Thank you!

Chris

Good morning, just checking back to see if you would maybe take a minute to rate or accept my service. If not, please let me know why so I can provide better service to my future customers. Thank you! Chris
Good morning! Just checking back to see if need any further assistance. Please let me know if you do and I will be here for you. If not, then would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system or by accepting my answer? I would really appreciate it.
Thank you!Chris