Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My check engine light came on on a very cold morning and is…

Second opinion] My check...

Second opinion] My check engine light came on on a very cold morning and is still on. Air code P1740 came up on air code reader. It says TCC Solenoid or overdrive solenoid performance. What do I do?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT. Trans was rebuilt in about 2005.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have not tried anything yet. I don't know if I can do what needs to be done myself. I am not a mechanic.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Truck runs good, no problems shifting or anything that I can see.

12/13/2017
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Have you check the transmission fluid level? Also, what is the engine size of the vehicle and is this 2 or*****

The truck is a 5.9 liter and it is***** I have not checked the fluid level. I will do that in the morning.

Thank you give me just a moment, please.

The first thing to do is to check the fluid level and condition. You may want the replace the fluid and filter. If this doesn't cure the issue, then testing will need to be done. The issue could be just the TCC solenoid, or the issue could be the torque converter/transmission. Here I am attaching code and vehicle specific information for the code that you have provided along with testing information. I have also included a TSB concerning you issue and information on verified fixes.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Just as a reminder, if you have found this information helpful, please, do not forget to rate the service. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician