Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I parked it in front of my brother's house on the flat and…

Customer Question
I parked it in...

I parked it in front of my brother's house on the flat and after an hour I got up to leave, but the car would not shift out of park. I watched a video on a repair site that gave me directions of how to do a temporary fix and how to fix the spring that attaches to a pink plastic part of the shift mechanism. It needed a couple tools my brother did not have so we just got me home in his spre pickup and tomorrow I will hve to have the car towed to a Dodge dealer to be repaired. Trouble is how to tow it with the car in PARK. Does Chrysler deliberately put plasctic parts in so they will break and the dealer can charge a fortune for their weak design ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

I have lights. I just couldn't remove all the trim to get to the broken piece of plastic in the shifter mecansm

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chrysler?

2006 300C

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 300C yourself? What have you tried so far?

I was trying to get to the part but could not remove the ashtray to open the area up

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/11/2017
Dodge Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 7 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thank you for visiting the site. Please allow me a few minutes to review your question.

what size engine, please?

Hemi

thanks

do you have brake lights?

that button is the emergency override. it being plastic has nothing to do with the vehicle not being able to be shifted out of park. its there to let you move the lever out of park.

the brake lights are working. I pressed the pink plastic spot and the shifter did not move out of Down from park.it did move slightly to the right in line with the rest of the gears
I am now 25 miles from the car.
My brother had downloaded a video - it is on his phone at his house.

does the shift lever go back into park?

Thank you for trying to help, but I will just drive up tomorrow and get the dealer to fix the shifter.

and you are doing this with the key on, correct?

I did have the key on.
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 7 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
I am a shop foreman at a Chrysler dealer and have seen this before. The shifter assembly will need to be replaced. But for now, you will need to remove the shifter cable from the lever on the left side of the transmission. Then the car can be rolled up onto the tow truck. That is probably the best way based on the fact that you do not have any tools. The tow truck driver can pop that cable off for you.Chris