Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2004 Dakota with a 4.7L motor. My TPS is receiving…

Customer Question
I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 Dakota with a 4.7L motor. My TPS is receiving a ground signal even when the key is off. (So the key does not have to be on to read voltage for testing the TPS.) Just replaced TPS, same issue...

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the key stripped or worn?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes (attempting to fix myself). replaced TPS. Symptoms yesterday were that the motor was revving when maintaining a constant speed. I have replaced 3 sensors this year for the same issue. Replace the TPS, problem goes away for a while. But I noticed today that the voltage is present whether the key is on or not...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so...

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/11/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 2 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

What is the issue you are having with the vehicle? Is this problem causing a check engine light to come on?

Is the engine running or idling rough?

Does it stall out at times?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

No check engine light. Vehicle revs when maintain consistent speed (2-300 rpms). Seems to be running smoothly (although poor mileage). Phone would be fine.
Potential concern / TPS testing can be done even if key is off. Seems that the ground is supposed to be stopped by the computer? Ground is constant (key on or off), power is back feeding through the harness at all times...

Sounds good. Thank you for that information.

You can request a phone call on your end and I will call you right away.

Are you able to verify on the issue behind the voltage back feeding? Hoping its not the ECM...

YES I am sir.

Or maybe I should say, yes I can verify the issue.

Jerry, Master Mechanic