Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Every time I turn on the blower motor the alternator doesn't…

Every time I turn...

Every time I turn on the blower motor the alternator doesn't send power to the computer

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

170,000 and automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

1998 ram 24 valve

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, replaced the wiring harness from pcm to transmission

12/10/2017
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Are you saying the alternator stops charging the battery?

It keeps charging the battery but i don't get 14 volts to my ecm after that

What voltage are you getting to the ECM and on what pin and or wire color?

I have a programmer that monitors ecm voltage and with the blower motor off it normally reads 14.1 or 14.2 but varies a little. When I turn my blower motor on my ecm voltage continually drops until I turn the blower motor back off

What voltage are you getting during this test with the blower on?

What does this low voltage result in?

It continuously drops and I've seen it go down to the 11volt range. Everything in the dash stops working expect the tachometer and the transmission stays in 3rd gear

Monitor the orange wire to the blower during this issue, what is its voltage while the ECM voltage is dropping?

I will have to go buy a multimeter and check it out. My blower motor works fine even after the ECM voltage is dropped

Reply when ready even if it's late. I work midday then late at night.

Is the orange wire from the ecm or com?
Pcm* not com

The orange wire is from the blower relay. I am wanting to see if there is voltage drop there as well before testing the ECM pins. I am also wondering how you know the battery voltage is not dropping without a voltmeter.

The battery gage and the RPMs both work when I turn my blower motor on everything else quits working. The battery gage shows a little over 14 and the programmer shows the ECM voltage dropping

Once you get your multimeter we can continue diagnosing.

Ok I bought one. Where is the orange wire?

It is on the blower motor connector.

I looked at the blower motor and there's a 2 pin connector and a 4 pin connector and I didn't see orange on any. Closest color I seen to that was a brown. I took the connector apart while the truck was running and the blower turned off and it done the same thing as when I turn the blower on as far as messing up and losing voltage

Can I get your vin# ***** make sure I am looking at the right wire diagrams?

1B7MF336XWJ242847

Here is the wiring diagram with that vin# https://www.dropbox.com/s/1owpm1lwivmbjwm/orangewire.pdf?dl=0 There are on only 2 wires at the blower and one is orange though it may be darker or faded from age.

Odd the wire colors do not match the wire diagrams. Unplug the blower and command it on. See which wire is powered. Once known plug it back in and monitor this wires voltage, is it too dropping?

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

I'm sorry my internet has been off for a few days. I took the 2 wire connector apart and the wire colors on the power side of the connector is green and black/ tan. Green had the power on it and it kept power on it while the ecm voltage dropped.

Thanks, ***** ***** ECM voltage drops use this wire diagram https://www.dropbox.com/s/nu0t785feggglg7/59power.pdf?dl=0 Check all of the power pins to the ECM to see if any show lower than battery voltage while it is being charged at 13-15 volts.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
I figured out the problem. It was a connector to a switch on the transmission. However when I hooked my grid heater back up every time it's on it does the same thing. I also checked the voltage to my battery and it dropped along with the ecm voltage and went to the alternator and it was dropping as well. But now with the grid heater disconnected from my battery everything is working normal. There was transmission fluid running into the connector for the switch was the original problem

Thanks for letting me know what you found.

Good job.