Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

08 sprinter 3500 turbo over boost

Customer Question
08 sprinter 3500 turbo over boost
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/9/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd begin by checking the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues

then check the wastegate then this is on the exhaust side and 1st thing to check is if the wastegate 'penny' or flap can be fully seated
if you remove the wastegate actuator and then look inside the turbo exit you'll see the wastegate penny moving back and forth as you move its arm if you smear a little grease or engineers blue onto the face of the penny and snap it shut and reopen it you shoudl hopefully see the seal line all around the penny

if thats OK you can then test the wastegate actuator with compressed air to check its opening up this shows if its going to be able to control boost
this video shows how ( from about 2 mins in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=178&v=NN1Hs3L0YYc

and to check the spring ( is it blowing off too early) you need a spring balance or some other method of measuring the spring force as shown in the previous video

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer