Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My wife has a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan in which it is having…

Customer Question
My wife has a 2009...
My wife has a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan in which it is having a phantom wiper issue. The wipers will not shut off even when the key is out with vehicle off. Thought it could be the park switch inside the wiper motor so I replaced the motor and have the same issue. First off it started on a cold morning and my wife remote started her van and when she came out the wipers were going and we noticed that the drivers door side locks weren't quite working anymore, fast forward to about an hour ago I was testing some fuses to try to find the windshield wiper fuse, I thought I had the correct fuse when I pulled it out and the wipers stopped BUT on the diagram it lists the fuse as "door lock/unlock motor" so I thought maybe it's the drivers door lock switch so I took it out and unplugged the connectors.... still phantom wipers. So I thought I would take the panel off to unplug the door actuator but it requires a lot of work and taking the window so now I'm here before I do something not needed. Please help
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/9/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 7 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

The wiper function on this vehicle is rather complex. Because of how the system works, this issue can be caused by a few different possible causes. However, the most common cause would be a faulty wiper switch or integrated power distribution module (which contains all of the fuses). However, a faulty instrument cluster can do this as well. I would recommend checking for codes in the computer.

Also, you can disconnect the battery cables from the battery and rub them together as it may discharge/reset the capacitors on board the vehicle and allow the wipers to start working normally again.

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I'm going to try calling napa this morning and replace the wiper switch, I did disconnect and remove the switch and the wipers kept going. I'm really hoping it's not the tipm because that is pricey. Would you know how many fuses would light a tester with the vehicle off because I was putting my tester on some of the fuses and quite a few made it light up
Checked price of wiper switch and it's $230 which I'm not willing to spend for a guess fix. I purchased a code reader and I'm not getting any codes either, any advice to narrow it down?
If the switch was disconnected in the wipers to continue to run then the switch is not the problem. I suspect either the instrument cluster or the power distribution module.
I agree, the problem needs to be diagnosed correctly so the correct part gets replaced.
Don’t replace parts randomly. Keep in mind I’m saving your money by pointing you in the right direction.
Also don’t forget about doing the capacitor discharge reset procedure by disconnecting the battery cables from the battery and rubbing them together for five minutes.
I understand that but I also had a dealership tell me it was either the motor or the switch, so I replaced the motor and decided to try this site out
after I installed the new wiper motor I zip tied the battery cables together for a few hours yesterday
now you have ruled both of those out as a possible cause.
Possible command start wiring issue?
Most likely not. So now you only have a few more options left. The ones we discussed above. And both of those need to be programmed once installed.
The two options are either the tipm or instrument cluster? Any way to test the tipm
using a scan tool. You can check the inputs and outputs to verify
I just scanned for codes and didn't get any
That’s because you need to use a more advanced scanner. In addition you need to read live data, not just check for codes.
I should take this back to a dealer?

Yes, sir, I would recommend doing so.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>

I'm still waiting to bring it to the dealership tomorrow to get it scanned. You have been wonderful to talk to but haven't really got any answers that I didn't already know so I will wait until the dealership scans for the codes and let you know how I make out

Sounds good.

Just curious, if you knew all this already, why did you ask?

I knew the gist of everything, was hoping to get it narrowed down or find out how to actually test the tipm. The dealership already told me to bring it back to check codes after I installed the motor so after I get the results I will let you know how it goes and then maybe you can help me figure out what this stupid van is up to.

Ok

Hello there!

Best Regards,

Customer/p>

Van is still at the dealership, haven't heard anything back yet
Sounds good I will be waiting for your reply