Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Why is my Governor pressure sensor volts too low 46re code…

Customer Question
Why is my Governor pressure...
Why is my Governor pressure sensor volts too low 46re code p1764
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/9/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Code p1764 sets when governor pressure sensor voltage is less than .1 volt for 8.5 seconds.

Here is that section,

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

Nope that didn't answer my question I wanted to know why I Governor pressure sensor is low

You have to complete the troubleshooting steps in that pdf.

I downloaded it four times and it won't let me open it

Are you using a cellphone? If on a pc, you will need adobe acrobat reader. it's free.

I'm using my cell phone

Then I assume you need a free app to open pdf's.

Any other suggestions? I download stuff all the time and always works in seconds
it was pre-installed on my phone give me a little bit more time I'm going to check my background data it might be turned off

ok

Okay I finally got the PDF open. My problem was that I had my permissions turned off. I need to take a break now but I promise I'll look at it within an hour

Ok, I am really not that smart about smartphones but I figured that might help.

Get it figured out yet?

How did you ever get this engine started?

Wow that's a lot of reading. What part of that tells how to check the voltage at the governor pressure sensor wire at the 8pin transmission connector without having to unplug the PCM

Start at step 5.

How did you get that engine started?

Ok

Don't forget to rate me well, so I get credit. If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

5 don't make sense because it says unplug pcm connector and unplug transmission connector and measure 5 volts.I can't measure volts with pcm disconnected. And I'm being careful because I just paid $250 for that rebuilt PCM. I'm going to take a 10-minute break and read the question again

It says measure resistance of the 5 volt circuit, so you would be using an ohmmeter, mot a voltmeter.

So the new pcm allowed the engine to start?

I got it started but after i shut it off it was toasted and the rebuilt PCM is fine except for the problem now.And the PCM has thtee 32 point plugs and I don't know which one's the transmission plug and also I put a little J-B weld on 2 of those plastic connectors to the PCM because the plastic locks broke and that's why I don't want to disconnect them from the PCM

oh

I have to drive it like it's a manual because if I start off and drive it stalls. I took it to the mechanic for a $50 diagnostic and he says there's voltage from the pcm to the transmission plug but I don't believe him because he's trying to get me to put a torque converter in and he's got a bad reputation. Is there a way I can test the voltage of the governor sensor wire without having to unplug the PCM? Because the place I got the PCM from says they think they know what the problem is and they gave me a free shipping label but I didn't want to wait another 10 days to get back. I just want to know how many volts are supposed to be coming out of the pcm governor pressure wire
Hey Mike, please give me a little more guidance I don't totally understand that PDF you sent me, do both PCM and transmission plugs have to be disconnected at the same time and if so how is there going to be 5 volt Supply when PCM is disconnected?

There is not going to be 5 volts on that circuit, they are just saying that is the 5 volt supply circuit. They are just saying that so you know which circuit to be testing and you will be using an ohmmeter which checks resistance, not volts.

Alright I have a multimeter and it's set to ohms. Where do I put the red prong?and where do I put the black prong? and do both the transmission plug and PCM plug really have to be disconnected at the same time

There are 4 different 5.9l engines that was in a 2001 dodge Ram, what is the 8th digit of the vin a 5,6,7 or z?

Yes, both should be unhooked and it don't matter which end you use on either end, the black - or red+, but as soon as I get the wiring diagram I can tell you what color the 5 volt supply voltage wire is and what # pins on both connectors.

At the pcm connector , it's pin 31 an orange wire and at the transmission connector it's the pin #2. It's the same for either engine.

Here are the transmission wiring diagrams,

but do I really have to disconnect the entire harness to put both plugs next to each other because the two 8 inch wires from my multimeter ain't long enough
When they do this stuff on YouTube they disconnect the negative battery cable and test the transmission plug with the PCM plug still plugged in the PCM

You can make a jumper wire as long as you wish, just zero the ohmmeter once you hook up the jumper wire.

So you want to disconnect the battery and leave it plugged in because you already JB welded it on there? I guess than you might have to do it that way if you cannot get it back apart.

I don't have a wire long enough isn't there any other easier way i could do this?
Do it what way?

Get a longer wire.

I have jumper cables

That would work, just be sure to zero the ommeter after attaching it to the jumper cables.

would you please explain it to me and steps again? What do I do first starting with jumper cables? And do I disconnect the battery or not?

I changed my mind, a jumper cable is too think to stick down in that plug. You need a long wire

Could I use the jumper cables and then add 20 gauge wire at the end?

Ok, once you get it all hooked up, zero the ohmmeter than, At the pcm connector , it's pin 31 an orange wire and at the transmission connector it's the pin #2

Do I disconnect my negative battery cable first because I really don't want to fry another PCM?

Yes, if you are not disconnecting that pcm connector.

Can you answer 3 4 and 5 for me?1. Disconnect negative battery cable
2. Run a jumper cable from the transmission plug to the PCm plug with 20 gauge wire sticking out of each end
3.
4.
5.

I don't understand what you mean, 3,4 and 5 are not questions just empty spots.

I don't see where you included the ohmmeter in that.

Here is how you should do it then, hook the 20 gauge wire into the pcm pin 31 hook the ohmmeter up to the end of that 20 gauge wire that is hanging out. then on the other ohmmeter test lead, hook that to one end of the jumper cable, then at the other end of the jumper cable, attach the 20 gauge wire to it, then plug in the other end of the 20 gauge wire into the transmission plug in 2.

Isn't there a simpler way?
I mean that's super hard but I think I can do it. I will feel much safer if I can disconnect my battery terminals. Will that be a problem?

Yes, I said go ahead and disconnect the battery,

any news?

after I got it all disconnected and seeing the wires that my mechanic cut into twice after his diagnostic I was not happy because he could have easily tested the wires at the pins like you're supposed to do so I wanted to see if he caused any more codes and he did it was p1899. Now I'm really confused

That has to do with the park neutral (transmission range sensor),

You got wires that were cut into? On what and why?

Why did you replace that PCM in the first place?

Nonetheless, here is the article on that code P1899,

He cut the wires for pin 5 and 8 for Governor pressure solenoid and temperature sensor and said he replaced the governor pressure solenoid and temperature sensor solenoid and the wire harness inside the transmission free of charge for being wrong then said he's 100% positive it's the torque converter and will only charge me $450plus tax.
Is there any possibility he could be right??
And I got a new PCM because I was tired of messing with it

no

I have no idea how a bad torque convertor can cause a Governor pressure sensor volts too low code p1764.

Hey Mike, do you have any information on how to replace the 5 volt Supply circuit?I got 5 ohms between pin number 2 and pin 31

Replace the harness that has that orange wire from the pcm to transmission solenoid assembly in it.

Do I have replace the entire 32 wire harness?

Yes or no. No If you know how or can back that orange wire out of those plugs and insert another orange wire the same gauge into them plugs and I personally do not know how to do that. I would assume there is a small clip or something inside to prevent it from pulling out and you would have to somehow fit something in there and press and hold that clip down while you pull out on the wire. I would not even know where to purchase such wire end that you could attach to the orange wire but I am sure they can be had somewhere, most likely whomever supplies electrical automotive supplies may have it or at least would know where to purchase it.

If thought the ends are ok and it's just the wire, you may be able to just cut both ends and run a new orange wire.

Of course you would have to attach the orange wire at both ends to the existing wire that you cut.

Thanks,that sounds good can I just use the two 18 gauge wires that I used to do that ohms test? That would be 3 Cuts in the Wire. Can I just try it for now?
6.says test the ground and the governor pressure sensor and I get no reading and the ground wire is good from the PCM to the transmission plug and so is the governor pressure sensor wire. Does that mean it's the PCM??

No reading means that wire is ok, you were testing to see if it was shorted to ground.

The wire has to be the same gauge and it should be the same color, too.

I'm confused, on step 6 it says if Governor pressure sensor signal is lower than 5 ohms replace the signal and you said the wire is good. What should I do???

No reading means it's above 5 ohms, so It says, "If resistance is 5 ohms or more, go to next step."

Go to step 7.

Did you ever get step 5 done, what was the result there?

Did you eventually get this fixed?

No, I'm stuck on step 6.I replaced green wire like it said and still no reading so Im replacing the ground wire tomorrow because I checked 2 other wires and still no readin.
Or do you think them other 2 plugs going to the computer have something to do with me getting no reading? Do they have to be unplugged also? because those steps never said to do that. Step 6 just says replace the green wire if under 5 ohms and I did and still no reading.I sure would be disappointed if I replaced the other 7 wires going to the transmission plug from the PCM and the only one that worked was the first orange one. When I take my multimeter and touch just only the black and red prongs together it will read something like 12,10, 8,7,6,4,2,1 like it should and on step 6 it does not do that countdown it just automatically stays at 1 even after I replace the green wire

First of all, what do you mean by "no reading", cause an ohmmeter at both ends of the scale is either 0 ohms like when touching the test leads together or when separating the test leads they read infinity. There is no such reading as "no reading". So which do you mean, 0 ohms or infinity?

Why are you assuming 1 ohms means "no reading"?

Ok, I just looked at my digital ohmmeter, 1 mean infinity. So basically that is over 5 ohms.

Therefore, "If resistance is 5 ohms or more, go to next step."

Once you do find a bad wire and repair it, clear the code and see if it comes back. There may be no need to continue with that entire troubleshooting procedure, if it is fixed.

Thanks for clarifying 1 means Infinity that saved me some time.I got to step 8 and is all good and the mechanic that did the diagnostic said he replaced the governor pressure sensor solenoid and the temperature sensor solonoid and the internal wire harness and said there's power going in but nothing's coming out and it could only be the torque converter and you're steps say it's the pcm so I'm returning the pcm and will let you know in a few days what the problem was.

These are the possible causes and what we were testing for.

Possible Cause

The following items may be cause of concern:

• Governor pressure sensor harness defective.
  • Governor pressure/temperature sensor defective.
  • Governor pressure sensor signal shorted to sensor ground circuit.
  • Governor pressure sensor signal circuit shorted to ground.
  • Transmission harness/solenoid assembly defective.
  • PCM defective.
  • Solenoid pack connector 5-volt supply circuit open.
  • Governor pressure sensor ground circuit open.
  • Governor pressure sensor signal circuit shorted to voltage.
  • Governor pressure sensor signal circuit open.

Governor pressure sensor delivers an output signal to the PCM indicating the output pressure of governor pressure solenoid. The PCM uses this signal to control governor pressure. Governor pressure solenoid is located on valve body.

Governor pressure solenoid generates governor pressure required for transmission upshifts and downshifts. Governor pressure solenoid is located on valve body. Inlet side of governor pressure solenoid is exposed to normal transmission line pressure and outlet side provides a passage to governor circuit in the valve body. Governor pressure solenoid regulates transmission line pressure to the governor circuit. Electrical supply voltage is supplied to governor pressure solenoid by PCM. The PCM controls the ground circuit to governor pressure solenoid to provide solenoid operation.

Dodge Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago

Any news?

If there is no news, you should at least say so.

Simply ignoring my questions just leads me to believe you have just taken advantage of me.

I see you have opened up numerous posts for a no start and no bus message which I assume you got repaired, cause now you say you have the P1764 code.

Why didn't you rate the expert good that told you that you needed a PCM so they get credit?

I assume you are going to do the same with me now.

Not to mention you should not open a new post for the same problem, it will be marked as a duplicate and closed out.

You should go back and work with the expert that was helping you and if you don't get an answer, ask again in the same post and be patient.

I can tell you now, that you have opened 7 total posts and not once have you rated an expert well enough that they get credit for their time with you, so in the future, don't be surprised if no expert wants to work with you, since they will see that most likely they will be wasting their time with you when they could be spending their time helping other customers who appreciate help and rate accordingly.

I have spent a lot of time with you and asked you numerous times for a positive rating and I even offered you more time, but it appears you just ignore that fact and want to continue on and on. Now it appears you are done and probably won't ever come back to credit me or anyone for that matter.

Also, you waited until this post was almost over before you told me a mechanic had already installed the governor pressure sensor solenoid and the temperature sensor solenoid.

You should have mentioned that from the start. I should not have to read through all of your other posts to see what work was done.

You never ever once said what year, make and model this was. I had to open another post of yours just to find out that info.

So, now. Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.

Did you replace that pcm yet and/or find out finally what the problem was?

December 9th and the 11th I told you.
And I don't know how to use this system how I got 7 post for one question.
The connections for the scanner plug was busted then fixed then fried.
The mechanic said it should be ready tomorrow night with rebuilt torque converter and that would mean your steps were wrong

We shall see.

I still believe since you had so many problems with the harness and plug in between the transmission and pcm, that is where you problem is.

Here is a of all them posts, with most of them duplicates and locked by customer service because they were duplicates.

https://www.justanswer.com/QuestionSearch.aspx?PFID=100698345&KW=JACUSTOMER-qxaf0xny-

You said on the 29th, that it would be done the night of the 30th.

Is it fixed?

I am curious if the torque convertor could cause that.

Just to add, I don't see any fluid pressure acting on that governor sensor, in park or neutral, only in gear and here is a photo of the hydraulic pressure in D range 1st gear. Did you mechanic make sure the transmission was in gear before checking for voltage coming back?

If anything if it were something wrong with the transmission in my opinion it would be with the pump.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ald3K7ShbumWiTdhOlwgwSu-eRH6

I thought the check valve might be clogged and you made a good guess that the pump is bad but hopefully we'll know tomorrow because he didn't start yet because he is super busy and down a guy but he at least got the torque converter

Any news?

The clutch burned out front me driving it

What clutch?

And what about the torque convertor and fixing that code? Did you finally get the code to go out or not and if so, what allowed the code to go out?

He said he will call me tonight to tell me if I need a total rebuild or just the clutches and torque converter

Forget it. I wanted to know about the code, what I was working on.

This is just ever going to end so I will stop asking you.

I wish it'll be done within 2 more days and I'm dying to find out about the code also

I gave you the trouble shooting procedure for testing for that code P1764 and I spent alot of time walking you through how to complete some of those steps including showing you how to use an ohmmeter, for which I was compensated for even after asking you numerous times to and explained to you how this site works. It was you who then took it to a mechanic who told you it was a bad torque convertor, so from this point on this is on you cause I am done.

I have tried and tried but I cannot continue with this after 27 days now.

You exaggerate, and it is ridiculous this has taking 27 days for one question and the mechanic disagrees with your result and I'm not going to rate you until he fixes the transmission and see if the code goes away.

You opened this post on Dec 8, it is now Jan 5. That is now 28 days.

He rebuilt transmission and says there is still codes and refuses to believe it's the pcm and says again and again there is power going in but nothing coming out so tomorrow he's tracing the wires going out from the trans plug to pcm plug by noon

I told you.

The transmission has to be in gear, there isn't any fluid pressure acting on that governor sensor, in park or neutral, only in gear.

The transmission has to be in gear if he wants to check voltage out.

Step 11 had that test you were always asking for.

That tests the output voltage of that sensor.

I suppose in can be in neutral then. That is what that says.

Why did you stop testing and come to the conclusion you needed a pcm.

I would assume at this point either that new governor sensor/solenoid is faulty or the harness inside where it connects to the harness outside of the transmission.

I don't think it needs a pcm either but I also don't think it was a bad torque convertor.

Any results yet?

The mechanic said he tests to it in drive and not good.I sent pcm back Thursday and should have final answer by end of this week
Dodge Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago

well?

They will have an answer tomorrow?

Did you get an answer yet?

No. Flagship one out of New York is really pissing me off so tomorrow I'm babysitting them all day calling them every hour asking and what progress they made and then I'm going to give them the shittiest review I can think of
They told me what I already knew, low voltage coming from the PCM Governor pressure sensor so they're sending me another PCM tomorrow or Monday

I am gonna guess the new pcm didn't fix it?

Yep both did not work fs1 or flagship One or flagship 1 out of NEW YORK need to be locked up.Most reviews on them are terrible and they have been acting like this for years

I already said before, why did you skip over the last part of them tests and just assume it was a bad pcm, then I said on jan 13th, "Why did you stop testing and come to the conclusion you needed a pcm. I would assume at this point either that new governor sensor/solenoid is faulty or the harness inside where it connects to the harness outside of the transmission."

I would just disconnect the harness at the transmission and test with an ohmmeter, the input wire and output wire for an open/short. Then go from there. Rule of thumb it should be just under 5 ohms.

Although technically, I believe that test was in that article, you just skipped over it all because that the part was new and you figured it all must be good.

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician