Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It stalled and now wont start sounds like its backfiring…

Customer Question
It stalled and now...

It stalled and now wont start sounds like its backfiring through exhaust only code is 27 battery voltage is 11.8 volts

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

I just replaced the engine, was starting and idling fine I took it out for a test drive and it stalled. wont start sounds like the timing is off.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '11 Dodge?

It is a 1997 Ram 3500 with a 1995 V10 installed

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havent tried anything yet I dont have a code reader. was thinking about purchasing one, I read the code 27 by turning ignition on and off. This is for an injector fault. This doesnt seem like it would cause it not to fire.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/7/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 7 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Have you checked the fuel pressure?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

The only code is 27 truck was running fine after replacing engine. then just stalled after a short test drive, now it wont fire, every few seconds it backfires through exhaust

YES I know sir.

Sounds like a timing problem with the backfire happening, Will having low battery voltage cause the pcm not to function properly, The battery is only reading 11.8 volts

No sir it should not.

Do you think it is a mechanic timing or ignition timing issue?

Can you read live ignition charts with certain obd scanners. I dont think that it is a mechanical timing problem, the engine has a new timing chain and gears and new camshaft sensor. What is the best route to go by

I would start by verifying base engine timing first and then move the ignition timing.

Have you done a compression test? If not, that needs to be done first.

Depending on your scanner you should be able to read distributor sync or cam/crank synchronization to be sure the signals are in time or in sync with each other.

how would you move the ignition timing. The pcm controls it through the input from the sensors.

You dont move the ignition timing. If the ignition timing is off, it is because of a faulty input to the PCM. You fix the faulty input and the ignition timing will be fixed.

why is there no codes related to ignition if a sensor or other ignition items were faulty.

Because the computer has not picked up on it yet.