Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2002 dodge ram 1500 is not shifting out of 1st gear, problem…

Customer Question
2002 dodge ram 1500 is...
2002 dodge ram 1500 is not shifting out of 1st gear, problem just started out of the blue
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/7/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, sorry about the wait. Do you have any codes present in the pcm?

only P0455
Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

That is an evap code. Have you checked the transmission fluid level?

trans fluid level is full and red and does not smell burnt, smells new. truck shifted fine a few days ago. it will not shift manually from 1st to 2nd to 3rd either. i drove it up and down the block and tried to shift manually from 1 to 2 to 3 with no luck. it stayed in 1st gear the whole time all the way up to like 4500 rpm. tried turning off the overdrive button and that produced no different result.
reverse works fine, and 1st gear, but just won't shift on it's own to any higher gears in auto mode or manually
Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Do you have a scan tool to check the transmission shift solenoids?

no, only a hand held code reader that gives a few more running parameters like coolant temp, closed loop, etc. nothing that can read the pcm data. is that what i need?
Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

No. since there is no codes present you will need a scan tool that is able to manually activate the solenoid.

any other way around this? i would have to get it towed to a shop or drive it in 1st gear to a shop.
Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Unfortunately that is the only way. Before you tow it make sure all the fuses are good and transmission filter is not loose in the pan.

I see there is a shift solenoid in this transaction that controls shifts. If it costs me $100 for a diagnostic and the shift solenoid costs $90 plus fluid and filter, it is about the same right? Manually shifting gears should have overridden the shift solenoid and pcm control of the transmission right?
Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

Yes, it should.

if it is not shifting manually it is probably not the shift governer and something else internal that is broken in the trans? Not sure if i should try and drive it 3.5 miles in 1st gear only to the closest shop so they can scan it.
Dodge Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 8 months ago

There is a possibility of a damaged shift governor till it gets checked. I will not recommend driving it in first gear for that lomg as it can cause further damage.