Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have just had the alternator replaced as well as put in a…

I have just had...

I have just had the alternator replaced as well as put in a brand new battery. The power steering pump was re ppl acrd almost 1 month ago. Upon driving the vehicle my steering became more difficult, the battery light came on and the engine temp light came on. I cnnot drive the vehicle more than 5 minutes without smoke starting to come from underneath hood. What are your thoughts?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?

Battery new, alternator new

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

1999 sport caravan

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. Have taken all issues to mechanics to be fixed. Velasquez auto repair initially said alternator was not bad yet my battery light continued to display until vehicle would no longer start. I purchased new alternator from autozone and took vehicle to ET auto mechanics to be replaced. Vehicle drove well for most of day and then all of a sudden power steering went out, battery light came on as well as engine temp light.

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Can you raise the hood and have a look at the drive belt and see if its in place and turning the alternator as well as the power steering pump?

Checking now

Okay, let me know what you find.

Ok as look the serp belt is off the pulley system and is torn on one side of the belt. The belt was brand new and put on at the same time as the alternator. The mechanic that did the alternator said that one of the pulleys in the system should be smooth instead of grooved. The belt was grooved to fit with pulley system in place. Does that make a difference as long as tension is correct

That is what I suspected and that is why you have no power steering as well as the overheating. The belt should have stayed on if it was installed right , small groves in the pulley would not cause it to come off, what you need to do now is contact the shop that worked on it last and have them send a tow truck to get it for you and fixed this. Something is wrong with there belt install.

That was my thinking as well. Thank you

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service at the top right hand side of the page so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician