Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The rear calipers/emergency brakes were overheating/visible…

The rear calipers/emergency brakes...

The rear calipers/emergency brakes were overheating/visible smoke. Disassembled calipers, removed rotor hats to inspect emergecy shoes, greased pins& sliders, performed this action twice, ended up taking to Madison Tennessee Dodge dealer. They replaced calipers and emergency brake cables. This was a situation that occurred a couple of years ago. Recently coming down from Nashville to Chattanooga on the 6% grade hills, truck was slowing down with foot off gas, my wife had been complaining of ~5 mpg loss of fuel economy after fuel injectors were replaced at 250,000 miles, however seems rear brakes are acting up again-anti-lock suspect?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?

Truck has been maintained-truck looks new inside & out with now 260, 000+ miles, however don't know if fluid has been completely flushed, if so it would have been a couple of years ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2005 3/4 ton Cummings Diesel, 4x4, 4 door short bed Thunder Road Edition

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No mainly oil changes some light repair-my line of work keeps me on the road, so dealerships for all the ball joints, bearing cartridges, ac past work scopes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, this just seem to be a recurring issue with the brakes and now I am wondering if it may have been the anti-lock selinoid/system issue instead of a brake cable/caliper issue

12/6/2017
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The most common cause I have run into that causes this issue here is a failing brake master cylinder.The cups/seals tend to swell up in it while driving and in some cases with repeat braking which then causes them to apply brake hydraulic pressure to either the front or the rear brakes ( in this case the rear) causing this fault here.It can come and go depending on how much braking is done as usually it is brought on by excessive braking like a down hill grade or excessive outside temps.

The master cylinder can fail on its own suddenly and causes this fault or can fail due to the incorrect type of fluid in it in some cases causing brake pressure apply.

Usually, the master cylinder needs replaced and the brake system flushed and new fluid installed during the flush to resolve this.

The only real way to determine if this is the master cylinder or anti-lock brake hydraulic unit is when the issue occurs loosen the rear brake line at the master cylinder and if the brakes release the master cylinder needs replaced.Keep in mind the brake system will need to be bled once this test is done and cannot be driven until they are bled.If the brakes are still applied when the line is loosened then the anti-lock brake hydraulic unit needs to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician