Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I had to take the distributor off and the part it sets on to…

Customer Question
I had to take...

I had to take the distributor off and the part it sets on to replace a hose. Now it will turn over but not fire

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

98 Plymouth, voyager

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Voyager yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am and nothing yet. Don't know what I am doing when it comes to yhid

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thats it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/6/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

When you removed and reinstalled the distributor did you line #1 cylinder up on TDC (top dead center) on the compression stroke and make sure the rotor was pointing at #1 on the cap?

No I didn't replace it I just had to move it to replace a hose

So you did not remove it but only moved it?

Well I took it out of the hole that it was setting in
Also how do I know witch is the number one plug
It turns over but dosent start now

Okay so it was removed and if you did not get it aligned properly that would keep the engine from starting. What needs to happen now is to bring the #1 cylinder up on TDC on the compression stroke and see where the rotor is pointing. It need to be pointed right at #1 on the cap. I have enclosed the firing order for you in the link below, the cylinder and the cap are marked. Let line everything back up and see where the rotor is pointing and let me know the results. if the rotor is not pointing at #1, then you are going to have to realign the distributor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tqn02wngmmoo4ye/firing%20order%20Dec%206.pdf?dl=0

Do I need to take the cap off now that I know which is number one

Yes the cap has to come off , then you need to bring #1 cylinder up on TDC on the compression stroke and see if the rotor is pointing to the #1 location on the cap. Line your balancer timing mark up on TDC (0 degrees). See the timing marks in the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xi069vbypg70i94/timing%20mark%20Dec%206.pdf?dl=0

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.