Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

This post will need to take a couple of days, as I will not…

Customer Question
This post will need to...
This post will need to take a couple of days, as I will not be able to do most suggested diagnostics until Thursday, due to being at the firehouse. I have an 08 T&C with a 3.8 When the weather gets colder, the fuel pump does not kick on when first trying to start. What we have found is 1. If you cycle the key, (sometimes just a couple of times, other times a few dozen times) eventually it will come on. 2. Sometimes, the first time the pump kicks in, it will run continuous until you recycle the key. When it does this, it is not providing fuel for a start. You will have to cycle the key to get the short pump cycle to get it to start. 3. During the time of multiple key cycles, if you bump the starter, the pump will engage. When you do this, the pump does not prime the system for a start. I originally thought this was the pump. But I am not so sure about that. It seems like I can get the pump to turn on any time I want by bumping the starter, just won't prime. On cold days, you will need to re-cycle the key to get the pump to prime, even if your stop is for 5 minutes or so. On warm days, 50 degrees plus, this is not necessary. On the days that this is needed, there is no engine hesitations during operating, like a failing fuel pump can do. I bought a nice fuel pressure test kit, but no fittings for the Chrysler quick disconnect were in it. So no fuel pressure test has been done. No codes set by the computer. Seems the fuel pressure regulator is part of the pump assembly, and I read one place where the relay is part of the ignition switch? I have not looked underneath to see if I can unplug a harness and check for power going to the pump when the key needs cycled to get the pump to kick in and prime.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
I should add, by taking a couple of days, I don't mean take a couple of days to release funds. Also, I am really hoping that this is a case of 'yeah, the T&C's are notorious for this particular part goes bad and causes this issue' (but don't we always hope for that LOL) Never seen a fuel issue like this.
12/6/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Here is the related wire diagram. https://www.dropbox.com/s/nurfhs2v433vo37/38ep.pdf?dl=0 So far this looks to be a faulty pump relay or the relay is n getting its ground to pin 85 from the PCM with the key on. Can you check those things?

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

I went out to try this, but it is too dark outside. I will do it Thursday morning and report back to you. I see where Chrysler makes a external replacement for these relays.

Sounds good, here from you later.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician