Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just left Boston yesterday for a business trip and i am…

Customer Question
Hi i just left...

Hi i just left Boston yesterday for a business trip and i am now in Harlem NY and my engine light is on. I just fixed my exhaust leak but after i stopped by the gas station and filled up the light came back on. it rides the same but i do not like lights on in my vehicle . what do you recommend

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?

No it has not its running very well. i. hve been watching you tube vidoes to reserch it was p 4040 something like that

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Station?

2001 dodge durango

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Station yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had the leak fixed yesterday. i am will unplug the battery and see if the code goes out. i have to make it to you MD then if it needs to be repaired then I will have it fixed. I am asking you for you recommendations

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just replaced my transmission and engine rebuilt.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/5/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Have you scanned the computer system to see what the fault code is that should be setting?

hi no i have not it is in valet parking. i know yesterday it was the p40 code something like that . and it worked fine until after i filled up in CT

The code needs to be a 4 digit code . Could it have been a P0440?

Dodge Mechanic: Canuck Tech,
 replied 4 months ago
Canuck Tech
Phone call session started

If in fact, the fault code was a P0440 then the common cause for this code to set is in most cases due to a failing Natural Leak Detection Unit (NVLD) which is mounted at the rear near the fuel tank. Sice you are not able to fix it at this time, go ahead and clear the code by disconnecting the negative battery cable and also make sure the gas cap is on tight and see if the code returns. If in fact, it does then it will need to be addressed when you are able. That being said as long as the light is on steady and not flashing you are safe to drive it. Usually, you will not notice any difference in performance because the computer system has back up strategy.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician