Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2008 dodge ram 5.7 starts and stalls out. After starting…

Customer Question
My 2008 dodge ram...

My 2008 dodge ram 5.7 starts and stalls out. After starting it 5 or 6 times it will stay running and run fine. Once I turn it off and the process starts all over again but not all the time.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

No engine lights and it runs perfect once running

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet I would be guessing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/4/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 8 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Are there any anti theft and or security lights on or flashing when this occurs?

No
No lights nothing flashing and does not stall out once it is running.

Thank you for that information. I will list the most likely possible causes for you.

• Tune up components (spark plugs/ignition coils)
  • Throttle body assembly (faulty or simply dirty, may just need to be cleaned)
  • Camshaft position sensor
  • Crankshaft position sensor
  • Integrated power distribution module
  • Malfunctioning BUS communication circuit

I am glad I can help! Keep in mind this is a "starting point". Further testing may need to be done to pinpoint or troubleshoot the root cause. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Everything you listed would either not let it run or it would run rough. This is not the case. Once it's running, it's normal operation. Smooth idle and good acceleration.
Try again.

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

No! There is nothing I can say on the phone different than what I have texted.

Ok, I will leave this open for other experts.

Good luck!

Dodge Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 8 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron, a different expert.

If spark to the plugs remains good, then:

You need to check the fuel pressure with a gauge first, then possibly a lab scope depending on the gauge results.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

If there was a problem with fuel pressure, why does it run fine once it starts? If fuel pressure was low would it not run rough or stall out?

There can be a flat spot on the fuel pump armature, so once it finally starts, the armature is now spinning at 6k RPM's.

You can see this with a scope.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me