Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2008 6.7 Cummins. Says 80%. Lost power and says regeneration…

Customer Question
2008 6.7 Cummins. Says...

2008 6.7 Cummins. Says 80%. Lost power and says regeneration needed. How do I do this with this truck

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent now

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 Dodge?

2008 Sterling bullet 5500 with 6.7

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sterling yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would fix if I could

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should be it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/4/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Your engine computer normally runs regeneration on its own as your vehicle is driven and run.When regeneration is occurring usually you would see a message on the dash that it is occurring to not turn off the engine or another similar message.

There is a recall out on this model to have the engine computer reprogrammed by a dealer to correct a software issue that causes issues with regeneration operation.If you have not had this done this needs done.It is Emissions Recall J35.

If this is or was done and the issue remains then there can be a fault with the DPF filter itself needing manually cleaned or replaced or a fault with an exhaust sensor or another component at fault.You would need to have the fault codes read out to see what codes are set then those codes diagnosed and repaired to locate and repair this fault.

I don't see a manual regeneration for this model myself, unfortunately.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician