Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2011 Cailber Rush and am wondering what the

Customer Question
I have a 2011...

I have a 2011 Cailber Rush and am wondering what the traction control system does...in normal driving it doesn't seem to make any difference if off or on, as expected. But in winter conditions, it seems to only light up as tires are slipping...is this just a warning, or does it actually make adjustment to torque applied to make corrections?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the torque specs?

Suppose to be 172 Ft/Lbs

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '11 Dodge?

2.4 litre 4 cylinder

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Sorry, it is not broken...just trying to learn how the system is suppose to operate

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that is all. The vehicle is working very well and am very happy with it. Probabaly should mention it is only fwd, not awd model...

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/4/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 6 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'ll be assisting you with your question today. Please give me a few moments to review your question. Also keep in mind that I do not know your skill level or abilities so I may be asking a lot of questions before I can answer. In some cases we may need to respond to each other quite a bit before I can come up with a possible solution for you. As far as phone calls, If you didn't request it, it is most likely the Website prompting you, not me. A Live Call is a "Premium Service" and will cost more money. I prefer communicating via this site, but in some cases a phone call may be recommended.

I am researching this concern for you and will get back with you as soon as possible, Thanks for your patience while I gather the information needed for your answer. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

understood...my email is***@******.***. I think it may have been incorrect as submitted, so please reply there if coming back that way. Thank you
NO, I prefer this forum...

I do also...

Here is a short description of the Traction Control system:

• TRACTION CONTROL

NOTE:

The Electronic Stability Control (ESC) may also be referred to as Electronic Stability Program (ESP) depending on the vehicle model year and configuration. Certain components may also reference ESP, ESC, or use the traction control symbol.

The traction control system that is part of the Electronic Stability Control (ESC®), is an all-speed traction control. All-Speed Traction Control enhances mobility and prevents wheel slip when accelerating on slippery surfaces. It also provides a measure of directional stability control. Using the wheel-speed sensors, it can detect excessive yaw and help keep the car on the intended course, as for instance, when accelerating around a curve.

All-Speed Traction Control is effective up to 85 mph (137 km/h).

The traction control system may be turned off or on by depressing the ESC Off switch button located on the instrument panel.

Basically the traction control is designed to help send power to the wheel that has traction when operating in slippery conditions. The system also includes ABS and ESP which ABS is for antilock braking. ESP is for Electronic Stability Program. These systems are all controlled by the ABS controller (Antilock Brake System). Designed to help the vehicle stay on the road during abrupt maneuvering and to help avoid accidents in these instances...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

ok, so in short, if activated (button on), it does actually make correction efforts to prevent loss of control...yes? And warns me by the light in instrument cluster coming on...

Basically the system is active any time you start the vehicle and drive it.

Pressing the button will "DISABLE" the system.

Yes, correction efforts are done by the onboard modules to prevent loss of control. These correction efforts could be from changing torque output from the engine to applying individual brakes to help keep the vehicle going in the proper direction.

Yes, when an event that requires these systems to activate, the Traction Control lamp will flash on and off when the system is active. If you have pressed the button to turn off Traction Control, a "Traction Control Off" lamp will be illuminated as long as the system is off. Reduced or No corrections will be made in these instances when the system has been turned off...

Thank you...that answers my questions

Cool glad I could help out..

Thank you,

Robert

****Please remember, this expert will not be paid for his time and effort unless you "Rate" leaving a "Positive" rating of 3 Stars or better. Thanks in advance for a positive rating ****