Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Car surged as I was going down the road as though I had

Customer Question
Car surged as I...

Car surged as I was going down the road as though I had "hit" the gas, I almost lost control. Then it was ok, and then did it again. Then it would barely go up the hill, was whining and would not shift ( as though it was in neutral). I barely made it home. Am I looking at a trans. problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No problem starting and yeah maybe using more gas. It is a 2013 Dodge Caravan.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have not done anything yet. I have replaced the gas cap as the engine light was coming on and it indicated that was the problem. The last couple of times I have had a hard time getting it on and really had to put some muscle to it to get it to click. However today when I had the issues I mentioned, NO lights came on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Has always thunked when I put it into drive. Of course the mechanic at the dealership said it was me and I wasn't stopping completely when I reversed (NOT)!.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/4/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 7 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

hi

what is the current status of the vehicle? does it start? do gears engage?

Starts. Gears engage but barely moves and whines.

Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you

unfortunately sounds like there is a major mechanical failure internal to the transmission, or that all/most transmission fluid has been lost.

I would check for signs of a fluid leak but if nothing obvious is found the next step will need to be a fault log scan and check of transmission fluid level and condition. unfortunately you may be looking at needing the transmission rebuilt or replaced based on what you have described.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please do not forget to click a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my answer, thank you. Best wishes with your vehicle.