Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006 dodge ram 3500 4x4 turbo diesil. I drained the…

Customer Question
I have a 2006 dodge...
I have a 2006 dodge ram 3500 4x4 turbo diesil. I drained the water out of the fuel filter. Truck started ran then died. Now I can't get it started, I can't get IT to prime.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/4/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 7 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Have you also changed the fuel filter? How much water was in there?

What procedures are you using to try to get it started?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Robert

Not that much water. I cycled the key Ford and back 4 times. Truck fired up ran then died. The fuel filter canister was dry when I opened it back up. No icasnt get it primed tp syart.

The fact that there was any water at all is definitely NOT a good thing.. What I suspect has happened is that there is more water in the tank and it has gotten into the in-tank fuel pump and rusted the pump and caused it to fail.

At this time I HIGHLY recommend to drop the fuel tank for inspection and if you find contamination in there you WILL NEED TO DISPOSE OF ALL OF THAT FUEL. After getting rid of the fuel you will need to thoroughly clean out the tank using a couple gallons of clean diesel fuel or a good solvent that won't eat up the fuel tank plastic.

You will likely find that the Fuel Pump Module inlet screen is likely contaminated also. Since you were not getting any fuel I suspect that you WILL need to replace the in-tank fuel pump. ALso, it is HIGHLY recommended to clean out the fuel filter housing thoroughly and flush out the fuel rail and injector return passages in the cylinder head, This requires removal of the injector connector tubes in the head and the injectors. If you find rust on the connector tubes, you WILL need to replace all 6 connector tubes AND all 6 Injectors. This is important because if any of the injectors stick open during driving you WILL quickly burn up the engine due to overfueling and excessive heat on the affected cylinder. This causes the piston to melt down and score the cylinder walls...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert