Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Sapare tire crank is broken off inside the

Customer Question
Sapare tire crank is...

Sapare tire crank is broken off inside the winding.mechanism

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?

No tire is fine. Need to get the spare down

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2005 ram

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and prying it down

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/1/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Not an elegant solution but since you will have to replace the whole mechanism anyway since it is broken inside the winding mechanism, use a pair of metal cutting pliers and cut the cable just behind the piece holding the tire that goes thru the center of the tire. You will want someone else under the truck to hold the tire up when you cut the cable to keep it from falling on you or use a jack to hold it in place.

With it broken off inside the winding mechanism, there simply is not way to lower it conventionally

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Unless you have a further question on this, at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?