Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2010 dodge and when the brakes are applied the

pedal comes to a place...
I have a 2010 dodge and when the brakes are applied the pedal comes to a place of resistance then fades on down to about half pedal. It acts like bad cups in the master cylinder, but I just put on a new one and it didn't make any difference. Anyone have any experience or ideas on this?
12/1/2017
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello and welcome to just answer. Is the red brake warning light on?

Chris

No, the brake light is not on....I just changed all pads, Master cylinder, left rear caliper and two front rotors

Ok, if that is the case and you are sure the brakes are bled properly, then you have a problem with the ABS (Antilock brakes) Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU). There are several valves in there and can leak internally causing a low dropping pedal. If the brakes were bled, then consider replacing the HCU unit and then re bleed the brakes.

Chris

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Thank you for accepting my answer! I will leave this session open for a few days just in case you need to ask any follow up questions.

Chris

Thanks for leaving this open....I would appreciate you doing that until my issue is resolved. I can let you know when it is done. This will help you in knowing you were right on with your diagnosis and help me by having you on standby in case there might be another problem. However, I do have another question at this time...I noticed an electronic device of some sort on the front of the brake booster...What is that and what is the function / purpose?

You are welcome! I am here for you. That device on the brake booster is a vacuum sensor and the ABS control module uses it to monitor the engine vacuum that is available to the booster.

Chris