Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Replaced my fuel pump and I was showing no gas in tank after…

Customer Question
Replaced my fuel pump...

Replaced my fuel pump and I was showing no gas in tank after filling up gas tank. Drove after filling up and cut truck off. When i turned the key on, the guage showed 3/4 full. Now i Have put enough miles on that tank of gas to be reading below 1/2 tank. It's still showing 3/4 and hasn't moved. Is there a way to calibrate the fuel pump?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

Park

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2002 5.9L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yhats it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
12/1/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Pete, Mechanic

These pumps dont require calibration. What type of pump did you install? When you insalled the pump did it come with a new sender unit or did you use your old one? I have got burned using aftermarket pump units. Now I only use factory pump modules on any cars or trucks I work on. I know they cost a lot more but I hate the thought of having to do the job twice.See if this info helps.

I bought the unit from rock Auto and was supposed to be an OEM part and came with a new sender

Rock auto are after market parts. Do a price comparison and you will see the difference. Im affraid that you will have to pull that tank again and get a unit from the dealer.

Also when you take the unit out see if it was hanging up on something inside the tank. Do this before you buy a new pump. Compare the sender arm to the old one to see if it is the exact same.

thank you