Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

All 4 power windows are not working. All fuses in the master…

Customer Question
All 4 power windows...

All 4 power windows are not working. All fuses in the master fuse box u der the hood are good. The 12vdc pin going into the switch panel is partially blackened. Switch panel replaced, still no window movement.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.

Are you talking the user's manual. Because I don't have a technical manual. I do have a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com and I couldn't find another fuse panel. The procedure did mention a Circuit Breaker by the Brake Release but I cant find that either.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2007 Dodge RAM 1500 XLT 5.7L Hemi Quadcab.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am attempting the repair myself. As I said, I checked all fuses and they're good. I checked out the Driver's side master Switch panel and the Driver's Side Switch was bad. I replaced the whole panel and it still doesn't work. I get 12VDC at the main power pin going into the master Switch panel. Only the windows are affected. Power Mirrors are fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it for now.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/30/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

As long as your drivers switch is good and it is getting power on the pink/yellow wire and ground on the black wire, then they should be working. Can you double check and confirm those results are good.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Hey Moose,Actually I need more information. Here is everything I’ve done to date:1. REPLACED - Driver Door Module (DDM) or the Master Power Windows/Power Lock/Power Mirror Switch Panel.
2. ALL TIPM FUSES SAT – Fuse F30 (10A) on the TIPM visually and electrically SAT. This fuse goes through the power supply between TIPM Connector C9, Pin 6 (Pink/Yellow) and Master Power Windows/Power Lock/Power Mirror Switch Panel, C1, Pin 9 (Pink/Yellow). There are the following connectors and splices between these two connectors from TIPM: C219, S200, C220, C304 (This is the through body connector between the door and the unibody. I also visually and electrically checked SAT all of the fuses on the TIPM just to rule anything else out.
3. 12.0 VDC PRESENT at Connector C1 Pin 9 (Pink/Yellow) on the Master Power Windows/Power Lock/Power Mirror Switch Panel. This is part of Power Windows Circuit 8W-60-2.
4. CONTINUITY SAT between Connector C1 Pin 5 (Orange/Lime Green) and Driver Side Motor Window Connector Pin A (Orange/Lime Green); and between Pin 12 (Orange/White) and Driver Side Motor Window Connector Pin B (Orange/White).
5. POWER VOLTAGE UNSAT - 0 VDC Present at either Driver Side Motor Window Connector Pin A (Orange/Lime Green) or at Pin B (Orange/White), when Driver’s Power Window Switch is in either UP or DOWN position.The www.alldatadiy.com online technical documentation I am using describes a Circuit Breaker located close the near the park brake pedal. I could not find this circuit breaker. But, since I am getting 12 VDC at the Master Power Windows/Power Lock/Power Mirror Switch Panel Connector C1, Pin 9 (Pink/Yellow) then that should be moot. All of the switches on the switch panel work fine, since it’s a NEW part. Despite that I performed continuity checks on each switch. I just don’t get power passed to the motor when the switch is operated.Thanks,

I can see you confirmed power to the window switch but I can not see that you verified ground as well.

Hey Moose,Using a fault light probe, I didn't see any voltage on Connector C1, Pin 8 (Black) of the Master Power Windows/Power Lock/Power Mirror Switch Panel. Can you tell me if there is a better and/or more complete method of ground fault isolation? I'm serious. I need a little help there.Thanks,Sean

We need a volt ohm meter. To test a ground you need to ohm test said ground wire to the chassis to confirm no resistance. A wire not having power does not confirm it is a ground wire.

Great! I'll try that tonight and get back to you. It makes sense if it's a ground issue, since we have good continuity but no voltage at the motor. I'm worried that I may have to uncouple the C304 connector between the door and the unibody. I don't have instructions on how to do that without damaging it. Can you tell me how if it comes to chasing this ground down?

Lets see if you have ground at the switch first before jumping into other steps.

OK.

Thanks

Moose,
I took a multimeter and performed resistance checks to all of the pins on Connector C1 of the Master Power Windows/Power Lock/Power Mirror Switch Panel. All of the pins were open except for Pin 8 (Black), and Pin 11 (Black). Connector C1, Pin 8 (Black) is a Ground for all of the Power Window Doors, Circuit 8W-60-2 through 8W-60-5. Connector C1, Pin 11 (Black) Ground are used for Power Lock Doors, Circuit 8W-61-2.Connector C1, Pin 7 (Violet/Dark Green) Driver Door Lock Switch MUX reads open to ground as it should, BUT – the Continuity Beeper goes off intermittently when the Black (-) Lead is on Pin 7 and the Red + Lead is held against the chassis ground. When I reversed the leads, and connect the Black (-) Lead against the chassis ground, it still reads open, but no Continuity Beeper. Does that sound like a weak ground? Or is an open an open regardless of the Continuity Alarm? The bot***** *****ne here is that the door locks all work fine. Just thought I’d see if you’ve seen that before.That’s what I have so far. Aside from that, will a failed power window motor, say an open, prevent the other three motors from operating? Is the power in series? The documentation I currently have is not clear enough.Can you offer any more insights or are there more tests I can perform? I appreciate it.Thanks,

C1-9 pink/yellow power

C1-8 black ground

Those are confirmed good now. So the concern is your switch, switch to switch or switch to motor wiring, or motor failure.

At the drivers side motor orange/white and orange/light green, both wires should be ground. When you press up or down one wire will remain ground and the other should now be power.

Confirm at your other switches the orange/light blue wire is powered.

Do you need a wiring diagram?

please. Can you provide a wiring diagram?
Would drive side motor failure prevent the other three window motors from operating?

No drivers side window motor failure would not affect others.

Wire diagram https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1wzj42o5xkzce5/1500wire.pdf?dl=0

I understand. I’ll check power at the other motors and get back to you later. Thanks for your help thus far. I may even pay for a call tomorrow. I will be available after 4:30pm EST. Are you in the West Coast? Will you be available then?

I am in Tennessee.

Will you be available at 4:30 or 5:00pm EST. I’m in Virginia Beach.

I will be a little later than that. I normally am offline 3pm till 8pm central. Today I shot a deer at 5pm, took till 7 in the rain to find it, till 8 to process it, then shower and eat out, online at 10pm.

you tell me he best time to call. How big was the deer? I have to go to central VA or the Eastern Shore to find any with any size on them. Thanks.

After dinner works best. Guesstimate 150lb doe. I have 26 acres, 7 stands and 2 plots and no neighbors. I hunt in my woods and yard all the way around my house.

Sounds good. I’m from upstate NY and my relatives always say the deer here in Virginia are small. Of course close to the Canadian border and a lower human population you can find 200lb plus white tail. I’ll talk to you tomorrow. Thanks Moose. ~Sean

Smaller ones taste better. I rarely shoot bucks, so in this case, size does not matter.

Yup. Younger and smaller are more tender. Old bucks are tough anyway.

Talk to you later