Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

06 dodge ram 1500 It's hard to start, idles roughly, & rpm's…

Customer Question
06 dodge ram 1500...

06 dodge ram 1500 It's hard to start, idles roughly, & rpm's don't go up when accelerator pushed down, & has blinking red "lightining" symbol..

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Removed positive cable to try reset & no noticable corrosion, plus engine starts up...

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Have checked all Transmission wiring connections & cleaned them, also cleaned sensor in air flow path between air filter & throttle body..

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes...may be unrelated..Truck recently started to "cut off" at slow idle, uphill...also..cruise control will cut off intermittently when a bump is hit in the road...also sometimes it causes speedometer to cut off...

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/30/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 6 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'ll be assisting you with your question today. Please give me a few moments to review your question. Also keep in mind that I do not know your skill level or abilities so I may be asking a lot of questions before I can answer. In some cases we may need to respond to each other quite a bit before I can come up with a possible solution for you. As far as phone calls, If you didn't request it, it is most likely the Website prompting you, not me. A Live Call is a "Premium Service" and will cost more money. I prefer communicating via this site, but in some cases a phone call may be recommended.

The best thing to do at this point is to scan for the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. This information is of great value for correct diagnosis. As a Technician, my first course of action is normally to scan for the DTC's. If you can obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem. You can borrow a code reader for FREE at your local auto part store (AutoZone, O'Reileys, Advanced, etc.). If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the Concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Robert

ok..will get a scanner & test...would like your "best guess" or 1st opinion??

From your explanation of the symptoms, I am thinking that you may have a leaky valve or broken valve spring but it is hard to make a determination because there are many possible causes for these concerns. The BEST thing to do is to have it scanned so that you at least know where to start....

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert