Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2004 dodge Durango has loud knocking noise. Has 3 quarts of…

Customer Question
2004 dodge Durango has...

2004 dodge Durango has loud knocking noise. Has 3 quarts of oil in the engine. Knocking doesn't stop

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Engine. 2 weeks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?

No and nothing

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/29/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

How many miles do you have on this and what engine is in it?

173,000. I think it's the 4.7
I know it's not a hemi

Sorry for the delay.

The truck should hold 6 quarts, so if it's only got 3 in it, then it's low on oil. however most of the time if it's knocking it's usually to late and indicates some type of rod bearing failure. This would mean replacing the engine or having it rebuilt. One thing you should look for is if it's an auto transmission, check and make sure none of the torque converter bolts have backed out. If they have they can cause a knock.

Sorry to give you bad news.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Do you have more questions for me?