Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2010 dodge ram heating system only works some times. You…

Customer Question
My 2010 dodge ram...

My 2010 dodge ram heating system only works some times.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?

You can hear the flaper valve going back and forth. Heat with only come out of the drives side vent in front of you. Cold air comes out of the passengers side vents. Just had it serviced by dealer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried myself. Just got the manual to see if I could.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My fan controll come on then goes off for about 5 minutes then comes back on.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/29/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 6 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did all of these issues occur at the same time with the fan going off and on as well as the heater blowing cold on one side and warm on the other?

Let me know, thanks Pete

but its funny that when I remote start it at times things work. Loose harness?

I apologize for the delay as I had to leave in a hurry yesterday and couldn't get back here until now.

This sounds like the remote start ( if after market) may have a loose harness or connection at the ignition switch or ignition switch connector.It may also be a poor ground for the heater/ac control assembly on the dash itself.If this is an after market remote start I have seen wiring and connection issues cause this type of fault here and the remote start wiring had to be gone through to locate and repair any wiring or connection faults.If this is an after market system this needs to be checked as well as the connections checked at the back of the heater/ac control assembly itself.

If no issues are found and if this is not an after market remote start system I have seen the heater/ac control on the dash act up internally causing these issues and it had to be replaced to resolve this fault here.

These are the most common causes with what you have described here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete