Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2017 RAM 2500 Diesel truck. It did not come with…

Customer Question
I have a 2017 RAM...
I have a 2017 RAM 2500 Diesel truck. It did not come with RKE and after talking with the dealership they said it cannot be added after the fact. I have been reading some conflicting information on the internet and was hoping for a more definitive answer.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/29/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 4 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
I am a shop foreman at a Ram dealer and to be honest with you I am not sure. However if you would please send me the truck's VIN number, I will research this today and get back to you. If it is possible to do this I will let you know. But keep in mind that it may not be possible. I will have a definitive answer today.
Chris
VIN: 3C6UR5HL9HG749476I found this...
You need the remote keyless FOBIK (transmitter) p/n(###) ###-####G
You need the emergency keyblank p/n 68029829AB that goes in the end of the FOBIK
-add sales code GXM to vehicle options
-under diagnostic procedures with Wi-tech do a restore vehicle configuration
-the Wi-tech will then reset
-go into the WCM under misc. functions hit the reset WIN configuration
-clear all codes then program the new keysBut I am not sure and my dealer says no. Do I need to try a different dealer, is there a specific written procedure that will work? Also I have read where some people have been buying the Remote Start Kit (82214878AB) and it replaces all of these components.
However some say that you have to have the RKE option first and some say it doesn't matter as long as you add the sales code first for the RKE.
Ok thanks. I will look into this with my parts manager and research it.
Chris

Ok, I have found that you can add it My parts manager has done this before. You will need those items you listed and maybe the Radio Frequency Hub (RFH module), but get the new FOBIK (key). So I already added the GXM sales code to your truck's VIN number. Now you will have to :

-the Wi-tech will then reset
-clear all codes then program the new keys

Try it with the original RFH first.

If it does not work then replace the RFH with one that is RKE specific.

I hope this helps

Chris

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman