Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Stored for summer - ran fine - now turn key, full power,

Customer Question
Stored for summer -...

Stored for summer - ran fine - now turn key, full power, lights, buzzers, etc but nothing when ignition is turned. No click or anything. Is there a fuse I should check? This car has had electrical issues in the past.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

Yes, tried Park and Neutral - same thing. Don't know about wheel lock but steering wheel does turn

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2001 Neon

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Neon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just starting - haven't tried anything yte

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't think so. just looking online to find a starting point.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/28/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 7 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Start by removing the starter relay in the underhood fuse box and swap it with another one. Then try to start it. Let me know if it will start.
Chris
Hi Chris - no luck with the starter relay. Also checked the other 2 fuses in the underhood box - starter and ignition - 30 amp and 40 amp.
Next suggestion?

Ok do this next Remove the starter relay again and look on the bottom of it. The terminals are numbered. Locate terminals 30 and 87. This see where those particular terminals plug in at the relay cavities. Get a small jumper wire and jump cavity 87 to 30. That should energize the starter and crank the engine. let me know.

Chris

Hi Chris - what would next steps be then? The reason I ask is that the car is in storage so I have to go there to work on it. If the jump wire works, I can't just drive with it in place, so then what? I want to maximize the trip.
Thanks
Well it depends on the results of this test I want you to do before I know which way to go next.Chris
Obviously next action would depend on it starting or not... I'm asking you, if it does start, what do I do with it? Don't imagine I should drive it with the jump wire in place...
Clearly if it doesn't start we try something else.
The jump wire would not be left in place. It is just a test to see if by bypassing the starter relay will crank the engine. That's all. If it does not crank, then get a 12 volt test light and see if there is power on cavity # 30.Chris
Ok Chris - the jump wire got it to turn over but it wouldn't start. There is power to #30. Why would the jump wire work but not a new starter relay? What's next?
Ok, that tells me that the starter and the circuit to the starter is good. This may be a problem with the PCM (engine computer ) The next step is to be sure NO fuses are blown. Then get a scan tool connected to the vehicle and see if it will communicate with the PCM. If you do not have a scan tool, see if you can borrow or rent one from the auto parts store.Chris