Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Acts like it's out of fuel at a half of a tank. Just

Customer Question
Acts like it's out...

Acts like it's out of fuel at a half of a tank.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Just replaced the tank assembly.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2001 diesel not sure what motor. It's .y sons

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Replaced the fuel tank pump unit.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. Did you get the part about it running out of fuel at a half a tank?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/28/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Did you replace the fuel sending unit? have you checked the fuel gauge itself?

the sending unit is part of the tank assembly.
On # 3 now. Put a new one in and it did the same as the old one. Running the level down now.

Do you have a test meter that is able to read resistance?

It's not the gauge.
It reads correct. We measured the fuel level. We did notice that the little pump with that assembly did nothing Von one of them.
What does that do?

Does this have dual fuel tanks?

No
Ok. Im positive it's not the fuel gauge.
The tank has the same amount of fuel as the gauge. But it still acts like it runs out of fuel. At a half of a tank.

That second pump takes the fuel from the other side of the fuel tank. The fuel tank is saddle shaped. It equalizes the fuel level. If that pump is not working. it would not be providing fuel for the main fuel pump.

It only has one tank.

I am going to open this up to other experts. Someone will be able to help you shortly.

Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Do you still need help?

I do. We have changed the in tank unit twice now. Same thing. at a half a tank it acts like its out of fuel. its an 01 2500 dodge diesel. We tried leaving the fuel cap loose. Thinking it was air locking. we checked the tank level and the gauge is correct.

Can you describe exactly what is happening?

It acts like it runs out of fuel.
Shuts off and won't restart without adding more

Have you checked for fault codes?

Have you tested transfer pump output pressure when it dies?

No codes. No we did not check the output pressure. Where do we need to check it at

At the fuel pressure test port on the injector pump inlet line's banjo bolt.