Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2007 1500 Dodge Ram 4.7, no crank/no start but has a new…

Customer Question
2007 1500 Dodge Ram...

2007 1500 Dodge Ram 4.7, no crank/no start but has a new battery, starter and ignition switch. Hooked up a bump starter to bypass ignition but it just cranks but won't actually start with key turned to on position

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

I can turn wheel a little but it's very hard, key is fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just trouble shooting a little, but tried the bump starter so I could start and get to mechanic but won't even start that way. Just wondering if I have 2!seperate issues or one that would cause both symptoms

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/26/2017
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that can cause a no start condition and it will require some testing to determine exactly what is going on. The problem may be security related, the ignition switch, wiring, the TIPM, the powertrain control module may not be awake due to an internal failure or a loss of power or ground to it.

Are you hoping to do the required electrical testing yourself?

I was hoping to do it myself

The first thing you'll want to do is ensure the PCM does not communicate with a scan tool.

Okay, will get back to you
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 6 months ago

Ok.

I put on a scan tool and nothing showed up for any codes present, pending or stored for anything

Was it a scan tool or a generic code reader? You're going to need an actual scan tool to know if there is actually communication.

It's a Cen-tech OBDll scan tool

Do you have the model number?

62119

That looks like a generic OBDII code reader. You don't have the ability to look at live data, correct?

Actually it does read live data, but will get back to you to make sure

Ok.

Sorry for delay, It appears to be reading live data when I click on the appropriate tab although I don't know what I'm looking for

The fuel pump does run when the key is turned on then?

I can here it

What does the PRNDL display show for gear position?

P

Can you see ignition switch position in PCM data?

No, I don't see anything like that

Can you see desired starter control state?

Can you communicate with the TIPM?