Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. A friend put the

I have a 2006 Dodge...
I have a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan. A friend put the emergency brake on; then when trying to release it; heard a snap. The emergency/parking brake is in the Engaged position and will not release. The dash shows the Emergency brake is on. BUT we can move the car, as we did for may be 20 feet forward or back. We are afraid if we continue to drive it, we could be doing damage to the brakes. So my question is, IF WE CAN DRIVE IT FORWARD AND BACK WITHOUT THE APPEARANCE OF THE EMERGENCY BRAKE ON, is it okay to go ahead and drive it. EVEN if the emergency brake light appears ON on the dashboard???
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: No, have not checked the bulbs. BUT the emergency brake is stuck down to the floor, in the engaged position.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All I have tried is releasing the brake. There was a snap. And the brake will not release. I can get it to a mechanic tomorrow but I don't want to damage the van by driving it. That is what I am wondering.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so. Thanks.
11/24/2017
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

If you move it forward/backward and let it cost does it seem like it coasts like it should or do you feel brake drag?

let it coast*

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Oh, darn, Dan, I am not at the van right now. But I can try this tomorrow.
IF I feel a drag, I assume I should NOT drive it, is that correct?
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Rather not call.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Can you type response here, Dan?

Check to see if you have the drag tomorrow and if not I wouldn't drive. If unsure jack up rear wheels and see how easily they spin by hand. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Dan, I just got interrupted by a client of mine. (I operate a group home for adults with mental disabilities.
Anyway, I cannot jack up the van.
But, I am unclear, it would seem to me IF I have drag, then it would mean, I should NOT drive it. I think you are saying, if I do NOT have drag, I should not drive it. Seems opposite to me. Sorry for appearing so dumb.

I may have wrote it the wrong way but you are correct. If no drag then you can drive it, if it has drag then do not drive it. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok, makes sense. Thanks. ***** feel drag, I will not drive it. Guess I will need to have it towed to a mechanic. Darn. If no drag, I will drive it to mechanic to get it fixed. Cool, Dan. Thanks. Good night.

No problem, I'm happy to help. Thanks again and have a good night.

Dan, Technician
Dan, Technician