Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2007 Dodge Dakota. Very rarely I’ll be driving and

Hello, I have a 2007...
Hello, I have a 2007 Dodge Dakota. Very rarely I’ll be driving and I’ll be at 40-50 mph and the RPM will suddenly race when I go to hit the gas. I’ll pull over and restart the truck, and it will go away and work fine. I was told by a dodge mechanic on here that because it corrects itself it is electronic. It is most likley the solenoid assembly. This only occurs occasionally, and intermittently. I was told this doesn’t sound like the transmission is shot, and would require a new one, but rather a simple fix. Is this something I would be able to fix in my own driveway?
11/23/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Yes, you can replace it yourself. See attached directions

The only thing you cannot do is the relearn procedure which is done with a scan tool to input the shift parameters. Without doing this, it will stay in limp in mode and not shift out of 2nd gear.

So you can do the replacement and then tow it to a repair shop for the relearn procedure to be done, which will be 1 hour labor

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Ah, ok. So if this was a transmission issue, instead of a electric issue it would be consistent and regular, is that correct?

HI,

Correct. Plus, turning off the engine would have no affect on an internal transmission failure. Only the electronic portion of transmission is affected by turning off engine which cuts power to the solenoid pack and allows it to reset itself

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
the electrical part of it is easily fixed without a whole new transmission?

That is correct. Just replace the transmission solenoid pack.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Cool! Thank you! Sorry to bother you again!

no problem

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Hello sir, I have a question about the issue you helped me with yesterday. Is it ok if I ask you?

Hi, what is your question

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I took the truck to the mechanic and explained it all, he agreed about the solenoid pack, even when I told him that occasionally it gives a slight bump between 20-35. He said it’s most likely that. However, when he hooked it up to the regular machine no codes came up, he said he’s going to try the transmission machine next, but it was odd that no light came on. He said it could also be a loose wire that sometimes come loose. My question is, is it bad that no light came on giving him a code to check the transmission, he said it could be that when I restarted the care I restarted the part which would explain the intermittent issue and why it won’t come up in the machine. He also agrees it’s not mechanical. Is it possible that a code wouldn’t come up on the regular machine, I’m just worried this is going to turn into an issue he can’t explain unless he experiences it and that could be another 2 months

HI,

Not always. I would say that it is about 50/50 on the transmission solenoid pack throwing a fault code. I have replaced dozens that never set a fault, and yes, it is that common of a problem in these vehicles that I am replacing that many. It doesnt take much debris such as shavings to foul them up when it gets into the ports of the solenoid pack or from burnt/old fluid to do it.

There can also be solenoid electical malfunctions that dont fail completely, but rather an intermittent internal short that will not set a hard fault code.

I just dont see anything else besides the solenoid pack that is at issue here

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Ah ok, so even if he can’t find a code, I’ll be sure to insist on a change in the pack. He said he’s going to look at it aside from the machine so I’d assume he’ll be able to tell. Is this a safety issue?

HI,

Correct.

It would only be a safety issue if you accelerate to pass someone and it doesnt respond in the middle of passing with a car coming the other way or someone speeding up on your rear and it wont respond at that moment to get you out of the way

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Even without a code, a experienced mechanic would know it should be switched out right?

yes, an experienced tech would know

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Ah ok, I should be in good hands. This guy has been there for over 20 years. My family mechanic sold his shop and it’s hard finding a good one, we’ve gone to him for 50+ years since my grandparents. If anything, I’ll just politely insist it be changed, after all it couldn’t hurt. Thank you sir! :)

You are welcome

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager