Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2009 ram hemi. Normaly the PRND -/+ is white when P…

I have a 2009 ram...
I have a 2009 ram hemi. Normaly the PRND -/+ is white when P and the P is green. Sometimes when in P everything is green and the R is red. What could it be?
11/23/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, more than likely this is an issue with the transmission range sensor. This is the sensor inside the transmission that tells the powertrain control module, what gear the shifter is in, if its not reading properly it can cause this type of concern. A scan tool capable of monitoring the tr sensor operation when the fault occurs will be needed to verify if this is the fault along with check for any codes stored for the sensor.

If you need more help please let me know. If I answered your questions please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

This problem is intermittent. The truck always starts with the key in both P and N. But if i turn the truck off with problem displayed, remote start eont work. From what i read if the trs is the problem, the truck wont start at all but i could be wrong. Thanks for your reply

It depends on what the sensor is reading, it can be the fault, but a scan for codes should be done first and then be able to catch the problem when it does act up and see if the TR sensor is at fault. The only other issue ive seen is a reflash for the instrument cluster but for different issues. That would need to be done by a dealer or shop with reflashing tools.

The sensor is digital, it sends a voltage and a position input, one input can pass and the other fail and still allow the truck to start.

• TRANSMISSION RANGE SENSOR - OPERATION

OPERATION

The Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) communicates shift lever position to the TCM as a combination of open and closed switches. Each shift lever position has an assigned combination of switch states (open/closed) that the TCM receives from four sense circuits. The TCM interprets this information and determines the appropriate transmission gear position and shift schedule.

There are many possible combinations of open and closed switches (codes). Seven of these possible codes are related to gear position and five are recognized as "between gear" codes. This results in many codes which should never occur . These are called "invalid" codes. An invalid code will result in a DTC, and the TCM will then determine the shift lever position based on pressure switch data. This allows reasonably normal transmission operation with a TRS failure.

Do you need more help with this concern?

No i think im good for now. I really appreciate your detailed explanation. I will have to get the codes read and go from there. Is there a scan tool i could buy to do it myself or are they too expensive?

Most cheap ones only read codes. Some transmission stuff requires the use of a high end scan tool. Its sometime easiest to just have a shop rn the actual diagnostic checks verses purchasing a scan tool unless you will use it on other vehicles. Most auto parts stores will pull codes for free but only if the check engine light is on and may not get to read certain transmission faults. There are many many may scan tools out there. It comes down to if you want to make an investment in one

Did you need to make a phone call, im not sure what else I can tell you about this concern?

I just had a couple of other quick questions regarding the truck and appreciate your input.

Ok if you want I can call, its an additional charge for the phone call, or I can answer you here, just let me know.

HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech
Please just call. It will be faster for the bith of us.
Phone call session started

hello, I call this number and says I need a pre paid balance. is this the right number?(###) ###-####/p>

This is canada, I need the whole country code plus number please

im in the usa

Im really sorry. 1(###) ###-####

Thank you!

Sorry Gene, what was that part manufacturer again?
Thank you very much for all of your help!!!

You are welcome!