Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 Quad 4x4... Power Outlets in…

I have a 2006 dodge...
I have a 2006 dodge ram 1500 Quad 4x4... Power Outlets in console and also the 2 on the dash are not working. I've checked the fuses and seem good. Replaced them anyway, but still nothing. Im stumped. Could the control module be blocking this for some ridiculous reason. Had a turnsignal go out on me and had to spend 65.00 to clear the code from memory... They wouldn't do this would they???
11/22/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you verified power at the fuse?

should be fuse 40 in the underhood location

Good morning and thanks for your response. I will check the fuse position for power when I return from work today. There are 2 fuses; one for the console and another for the dash. I will check both as neither are working
Afternoon Shawn,
I have checked the fuses and each has power in and out (both sides of fuse). Fuse position 40 is for cigarette lighter on dash, and #1 is for the console power socket. Connector or break between Distribution module and components???
Im off tomorrow and would like some info to try and resolve this. The manual I have, a Haynes, does not have a circuit diagram for any of the power sockets or console....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w9o8isj8ne4zk73/fuse.docx?dl=0

So this is what I have on that sorry about the blurry on it, the fuses re 40, 38 and 1, basically if your fues are good you have a ground problem or connection/wiring issue, I would next pull the sockets and inspect the connector for power and ground

Thanks,
Yes 1,38 and 40 are the fuses and all are powered. Im tending to think its a ground issue. Since all three; left and right sockets on dash, and socket inside console, aren't working they must share a common ground somewhere....

Sure thing! let me know if you run into any snags!

Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me nothing less than a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Will certainly rate when we're done, and a bonus... This problem has been very frustrating to say the least.
Some more history on this: I have had tto use one of those portable air compressors for my tires repeatedly since getting new tires about 5 years ago. My feeling is that the rims are leaking;more so in the cold months. This issue will be remedied next week. Anyway..... at times using the air compressor would blow the fuses after 15-20 min of use, not every time, but sometimes. This was done repeatedly. I confess I did put in a higher fuse to compensate. A 30 I think. I could possibly be looking for burnt broken wires somewhere as well? If this is the case, would I be looking closer to the fuse module or closer to the components?

yes you def could have burnt some wires somewhere, check connectors at the sockets they tend to show the most wear from higher amp usage

As I stated before the only manual I have is this Haynes manual. It has no circuit diagrams for any of the power outlets nor does it have ANY information about the console. Wiring or access to power outlet.Please provide info regarding accessing the dash outlets as well as the console.
Please also indicate where any other connectors there are; And their location, between the TICM and the power outlets. Dash and console
Thanks

Cant seem to find it ill have to open this back up to the others that have this information

Oh man....
How long will that take??
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Technician

Hello, I am Randall . I will pull some diagrams shortly and see if I can help. Bear with me as I have to take a little time to pull, read, review, etc the diagrams then get back with you. Back as quick as I can,Meantime can I get the full VIN #?

Thanks Randall1D7HU18286S562024
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, the removal of the outlets to inspect the connectors and wiring takes a special type of tool.

Hello David
At this point I am needing to diagnose the problem and not necessarily remove and replace. I've requested info to gain access to the sockets connections to complete testing. Also to the console. As well as any plug or connection between the TICM and the power outlets. Im repeating myself.

im not asking you to remove and replace. im showing you how to access the wiring to inspect it

the sockets need removed to inspect the wiring.

there are no other connections between the sockets and the connectors on the TIPM

Is there a part number for this tool??
On the pdf you sent it mentions to click to show the tool numbers. Of course I can't click on a static document to see this

sure standby please

hows it going?

david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic