Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2007 2500 Dodge Ram diesel. Won’t start. Dash lights come…

Customer Question
2007 2500 Dodge Ram...

2007 2500 Dodge Ram diesel. Won’t start. Dash lights come on, except transmission lights. Can shift gears

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Checking fuses now. Will dashboard build and fuses cause it to not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trouble shooting. Will be doing myself. Just had it towed home

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Where is fuse that is for gear shifting lights on dash lights

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/22/2017
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few things that can prevent the engine from starting and it will require some testing to determine exactly what is wrong. It sounds like you may have an issue with the transmission range sensor, whether directly or indirectly.

I'm assuming that the starter does not engage?

Starter is engaging, gear indicator on dash Is not lighting up
Took it in, mechanic is saying it could be ecm or the computer but I just had the electronics in the transmission changed.

Does the ECM not communicate with a scan tool?

Mechanic is saying computer is not communicating with scan tool. Which lead
Him to say it was either that eat ECM or the computer

If the ECM isn't communicating with a scan tool the it has either failed, has lost a power or ground, a sensor reference voltage circuit could be shorted to ground, or a sensor ground circuit shorted to voltage. These things will need to be tested if they haven't already, to determine whether the problem is external or the ECM needs to be replaced.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you I will follow up after more tests

You're welcome!