Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2014 dodge charger and it says service shifter, ive…

Customer Question
I have a 2014...

I have a 2014 dodge charger and it says service shifter, ive taken it in for the shifter recall and they said all it was for was to update the software

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?

I'm unsure and havnt checked due to the fact that it also knocked out my power steering and making my transmission knock a bit

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Charger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ive bought an after market shifter solenoid and thoought it may help but didnt, but that was before the recall. they restored the original parts and and even opened an investigation with crystler and ended up with nothin but my car in worse condition. they say the only way to know is to have them take a look at it starting at 135

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of, i just feel that i cant be the only one with this problem so there has to be an explanation. First it says service shifter when i start, then when i drive it says service power steering then service transmission

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/21/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 8 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
These problems you are having are most likely related to a CAN bus network problem in the vehicle. The CAN bus is the communications network that all of the computers in the vehicle use to communicate with each other. The dealer has to spend time figuring this out with the use of the WiTech scan tool. There is no other way. So spending the 135 will be money well spent to figure this out. Trust me on this. Iam a shop foreman at a Dodge dealer and know first hand about these systems.
If you don't have it diagnosed properly, then you will be wasting time and money throwing parts at it.Chris
I hope that this information is helpful and if so, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me.
Thank you!Chris