Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Def warning light has come on and says I only have 138 more…

Def warning light has...

Def warning light has come on and says I only have 138 more miles until 5 mph max speed. Can I reset this to get to my dealer

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Service DEF see dealer

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2014 2500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet...its still running but im concerded about being stranded

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have 1/2 tank of def

11/21/2017
Pete, Auto Service Technician
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this here.Unfortunately there is no reset you can do yourself here.What you can try is to fill the def tank all the way and see if it resets then as this sometimes works.Adding only a pint or two usually won’t work as it has to be filled.
If it does not work then a dealer will need to check fault codes to see what faults are set for the fed warning your seeing as it should not come on with 1/2 tank full.
This may be the def tank level sensor at fault needing replaced or another component needing replaced.
Unfortunately if it is continued to be driven like this it can limit the speed into this fail safe mode.So you can try to top off the tank and see what happens from there within a few minutes or operate it to the dealer or have it towed for checking.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.A 5 star rating is appreciated and we can continue here still if needed anytime.Thanks Pete
Thanks!
Your welcome
Pete, Auto Service Technician
Thanks Pete,
It turned out there was a recall on the catalytic converter and the repair was covered by the recall. The light was triggered from back pressure from the converter according to the dealer

Your welcome

Glad it is being repaired under a recall.If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete