Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1999 dodge pickup with only 15 psi fuel pressure. replaced…

1999 dodge pickup with...

1999 dodge pickup with only 15 psi fuel pressure. replaced pump (twice) still the same. Can spray with gumout and it runs ok

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?

80,000 and not long ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 80 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just a fuel pump is all

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all i have tried. i have read pressure should be around 45 but i only have 15

11/20/2017
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me the model and engine liter size in this vehicle?

Let me know,thanks Pete

5.2

O.k.,your fuel pressure does need to be between 44 and 54 psi.15 is way to low.

This is going to be an issue with a loss of power or ground feed for the pump.Now it may have power and ground at the pump to operate it but if there is low amperage in either the power feed wire or the ground feed wire due to corrosion in the wiring or a damaged wire you will have low amperage causing low pressure.

The ground is the black wire at the pump connecting to a ground point on the body or frame.Trace and clean this ground point and make sure the wire is o.k.If needed add a second ground to this black ground wire.

The power is the dark green/black wire.This comes from the fuel pump relay.If the relay has bad contacts in it this will also cause this issue and the relay would need replaced.If there is an issue with this wire from the relay to the pump this will need repaired.

These need to be checked as this is a low amperage issue on the voltage and ground feed causing the low psi.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

The ground is good and there is 12 volts at hot wire

O.k.,even though you have a good ground connection and 12 volts this doesnt indicate you have good amperage through these wires.You can have 12 volts but not enough amperage to operate the pump properly.This can come from a bad or corroded/damaged wire needing repaired or replaced or a faulty fuel pump relay that is worn internally not allowing enough amperage through it.

The only other cause for low fuel pressure like this is an incorrect pump installed or kinked or damaged fuel line feed from the pump.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician