Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2004 Ram hemi, engine won't shut off, key off and in my

Customer Question
2004 Ram hemi, engine...

2004 Ram hemi, engine won't shut off, key off and in my hand. Voltage light flashing

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you tell me which light it is? And does it blink first, then stay on steady?

Lower right of warning light panel....flashes constant

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

I pulled the fuel pump relay to shut it off. Restsrted engine...won't shut off

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should cover it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/20/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This sounds like a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.This is a separate switch from the ignition key cylinder.This switch can short out internally causing this issue here.There were reports of faulty WIN modules ( wireless ignition modules) causing this on the dodge vehicles but I dont see this module on your older model here.This leads me to believe this is the electronic ignition switch itself at fault needing replaced.

One other thing though before having that replaced is if you have an after market remote start installed this remote start control unit can cause this and would need removed or replaced to resolve this issue here.But if there is no after market remote start then the electronic ignition switch needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete