Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 1999 Dakota with no heat, the temp gauge only gets

to about 130ish even after...
I have a 1999 Dakota with no heat, the temp gauge only gets to about 130ish even after changing the thermostat to 180 from 165 that was in it. coolant is clean and green.
11/20/2017
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

This would either mean the thermostat or the thermostat housing is the problem. I would recommend replacing thermostat and thermostat housing with OEM parts. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
thermostat housing is OEM, thermostat is Duralast recommended by autozone as a oem replacement. I changed the thermostat because the temp gauge would barely move with the 165. no matter what the engine should get warmer then 130 with a 180 thermostat installed. i also tested the old thermostat and it was working properly, just to cold.

Thermostat housing has been replaced?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No it has not been replaced it is original equipment.
please excuse my confusion but how is replacing an undamaged thermostat housing going to change anything?

With the way the system works I don't see anything else that could be problem besides thermostat or thermostat housing. The thermostat stays closed not allowing coolant to leave engine until it hits 180 degrees...So if radiator is warming up that either means thermostat is opening too soon or coolant is seeping past thermostat because of a warped housing. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
i am going to test the temp gauge and sending unit to be sure i am getting an accurate temp reading from the engine. i would have thought that the computer would have put out a engine temp code if it was truly running as cool as the gauge says it is. and then back flush the heater core.

Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I fixed it, it needs a new temp sending unit and the heater core was clogged.

Good to hear, two things failing at once made it hard to diagnose over computer. Thanks for update and have a great day.

Dan, Technician