Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

1995 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9 L engine and automatic

transmission, 97,000 miles. The engine...
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9 L engine and automatic transmission, 97,000 miles. The engine stalls after running 15 seconds or 45 seconds at engine speed above 1500 RPM.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?
Customer: 97,000 miles. All original.
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Symptom started after vehicle ran out of gas and stalled. Added 2 gallons of gas. Difficult to start. Able to drive truck home, a quarter mile at a time. Once home, I added 6 gallons of gas. Now the engine starts promptly however still unable to drive around the block without the engine stalling multiple times,
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
11/19/2017
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

If this all started after running out of gas, then you most likely sucked up some dirt and debris into the built in fuel filter in the fuel pump assembly. This has caused the fuel flow to be decreased and then causes the stalling. Have the fuel pump replaced. This should take care of this.

Oh and when the pump is out of the tank, check and verify that there is no more dirt in the tank and if so, drain it and clean the tank.

Chris

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
The gas tank was removed about 3 months age to replace seals in order for the vehicle to pass the California emissions control test prior to renewing the vehicle registration. The tank was inspected and it was clean, no sediment, dirt, or debris.

Okay, well there could be a problem with the pump now after running it dry when you ran out of gas. It may not be dirt, but a damaged pump now. Have a shop perform a fuel volume/pressure test and if it fails, then the pump will need to be replaced. Pressure should be around 48 to 52 PSI.

Chris

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
What is curious is that the engine would run for 45 seconds at 1500 RPM but only 10-15 seconds at idle. Also, before the engine stalls the RPM would fluctuate, drop by 100 RPM then return, for 3 or 4 cycles.

That is strange. You would think if it was a fuel delivery issue that it would run longer at idle. Is the check engine loght on when it is running?

Chris

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No. The Check Engine light goes out every time.

Ok good. If stayed on, then there would be a circuit code (crank sensor, etc.). So I still recommend getting the fuel pressure checked and pump replaced if needed. I am still leaning that way based on the fact that you did not have the problem until you ran out of fuel.

Chris

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Supposing I did not run out of fuel, would the symptoms be similar to the O2 sensor failing?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
On second thought, I suspect the failure of the O2 sensor would turn on the Check Engine light. Correct?
I will check the diagnostic code then the fuel pressure.

Well a failing O2 sensor would not cause a stalling problem. and yes it would turn on the check engine light and set a code.

Chris

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Okay, I will check the diagnostic code then the fuel pressure. Thank you.

You are welcome!

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Thank you for accepting my answer! I will keep this session open for s few days in case you have any follow up questions. Have a great week!

Chris

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
New information.
With fuel pressure gauge connected and the ignition key turned to the "Run" position the fuel pressure increases to 38 PSI for 1-2 seconds. Then there is a click from the fuel pump relay and the fuel pressure drops to 36 PSI. With the initial or cold start the engine runs at idle for approximately 1:20 (80 seconds) with the pressure at 36-38 PSI. At this point the fuel pressure drops to 2-4 PSI and the engine has stalled.If the engine is immediately restarted the it would run for 20-25 seconds before stalling.
If the there is 5 minute wait before restarting then the engine would run at idle for approximately 80 seconds.The engine run time is consistent enough to suggest there is an electronic control turning off the fuel pump.By the way the Diagnostic Code was 12 (Battery Disconnect) which I had done hoping to rest the PCM.

Ok, then we have a fuel pump failing or a fuel pump relay failing. Try a new relay first then let me know the results.

Chris

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Update:
I swapped the fuel pump relay one at a time with the trailer lamp relay and the horn relay. With the engine running the fuel pressure held steady at 38 PSI rather rapidly fluctuating between 36 and 38 PSI. However it did not run any longer than with the original relay and the fuel pressure dropped to 2-4 PSI as mentioned before. There was an audible click from the fuel pump relay as the engine stopped running.Is there a fuel regulator or other control between the one in the gas tank and the fuel pressure test point on the engine?Thanks,
Fred
No Fred there is not. The regulator is in the pump module assembly in the tank. Note that the relay will click after the engine stops. Try this next : remove the fuel pump relay and look in the bottom of it. The terminals will be numbered. Locate terminals #30 & #87. Then note where those terminals plug into their respective cavities in the fuse relay box. Now get a small jumper wire and jump 87 cavity to 30 cavity. That will power up the pump. Now start it and see if it still dies. If it does, then the problem has to be the fuel pump. Let me know how it goes.
Chris
Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman