Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My check engine light is on and I'm not sure how to turn it…

Customer Question
My check engine light...

My check engine light is on and I'm not sure how to turn it off

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

07 caliber

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Caliber yourself? What have you tried so far?

I don't fix it myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I mean I just got a power steering hose put back on

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/19/2017
Dodge Mechanic: xsvector, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic

do you have access to a scan tool/ code reader?

Not currently its late and I just turned on about an hour or so ago
It* just turned on

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes.