Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just replaced the thermostat and my Dodge 1500 Ram V6

Customer Question
I just replaced the...

I just replaced the thermostat and my Dodge 1500 Ram V6 keeps overheating and overflowing into fill tank? Water pump and fan clutch are only about four months old. No leaks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

The transmission?

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Ram?

2001 with a V6 magnum

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ok before all of this overheating started I installed new plugs and wires and also a throttle control sensor. Then while driving Dodge for less than 10 miles it started to overheat? I had changed my water pump and fan clutch about four months ago during summer. I bought the thermostat then also, but did not change it till it overheated the first time. Two days ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Why is the fluid being pumped into the fill tank instead of being sucked into cooling system? Puzzled

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/18/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Sounds like you may have a blown head gasket, have you done the test for that yet?

There is no water in the oil.

you dont have to have that to have a blown head gasket

they have the kit you can get at the loaner tool program at the local auto parts store

What else do I check

it sounds like you have all your bases covered, you could try doing a system bleed on it with the coolant funnel tool, and pull the thermostat and test it to make sure its opening

I was afraid of that it is in a very tight spot. But ok. Would a possibly clogged heater core make the fluid back up also into the fill tank and make it overflow?
Because I can also feel pressure of the fluid coming through hose going into radiator

that would be just a aux flow part of the system and not cause a back up of the main operating coolant flow,

The Dodge had overheated before I replaced the Thermostat. Now it wont stop overheating?

I see quite a few brand new thermostats go bad out of the box, you could just have a bad part, I always check mine before the install and also make sure it has a bleed port in the top

Should I also pull the water pump to check if it still pumps?

every once in a while I see a water pump bad, I would just do the thermostat first and see what happens, go back with water to test the system so you dont waste your coolant and see how it does, if it still acts up check water pump and if thats ok I would do the head gasket check

ok I will try that

hows it coming?

It’s not overheating anymore. It Max’s out at about 170 and stays steady. It is not back flowing either into overflow/fill tank. Just keeping a close eye on all fluid/oil levels and appearance.

oh thats good what did you find that was bad?

Everything seems to be working. Except the heater core heating. But the heat is starting to be lukewarm.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving me nothing less than a 5 star rating would be appreciated very much. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician