Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2001 dodge Dakota 3.9 quad cab 4x4 5 speed manual

and I ended up changing...
I have a 2001 dodge Dakota 3.9 quad cab 4x4 5 speed manual and I ended up changing the crank sensor and it started once again drove it to the store and back no problems went the next morning to start it and nothing after many minutes it finally started. Got to work and wouldn't start after work thought maybe I got a dud of a sensor took it back to autozone got a new one started up drove it that night no problems made it home went to start it again same thing just kept cranking and cranking bought another one now won't start at all any idea what the problem could be?
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: Nothing at all when running runs perfect just can't get it to start
JA: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All new ignition system new distributor new coil and new cam sensor and as well as 3 crank sensors this week
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/18/2017
xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic

did it trip a engine light?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Already had one tripped from 02 sensors from an exhaust leak didn't show any codes for it

when you crank it does the tach move

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
It moves like usual

does the fuel pump energize?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Fuel pump kicks in just no spark
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Already changed the entire ignition system and it has always led to the crank sensor like I said I've changed it twice this is the third and now won't start at all

very possible ...need to verify crank signal with a scan tool...but with that said i have bad luck with aftermarket crank sensors

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
this last one I bought is oem

do you have a way to monitor crank signal?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
No not at all

then you may need trial and error

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Any direction you could give me??

we need a scan tool that can verify crank and cam signal...thats step 1

xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic
xsvector
xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic