Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

How do i find a short in my wiring cluster? I had a (no bus…

Customer Question
How do i find a...
How do i find a short in my wiring cluster? I had a (no bus issue) Replaced the PCM now the truck starts and runs great but ... I still have a cluster issue where the gauges do not work, some of the warning lights work. The ones across the bottom of the cluster. I thought my cluster was bad got another cluster same thing. I believe i have a bad cluster harness or shorted cluster wire.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/19/2017
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 5 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

It's possible that you could have an instrument cluster or wiring issue but the problem may still be with the PCM depending on exactly what you're seeing. IT's going to require some testing to determine exactly what is wrong.

The PCM was replaced for a no start condition?

This problem was not present prior to that?

What gauges specifically do not work?

the original problem was no bus , no start. After messing with things (just looking over wires) the truck would start and run but the needle gauges in the cluster would only work occasionally. Then they quit working all together. and a few warning lights would come on and stay on, cruise, low fuel, od off. The truck eventually started running rough, stalling and the asd relay would chatter. Changed the PCM and the truck runs fine, but still have the cluster issue. Switched clusters same problem, no needle gauges work. Tested for 5v referance at crank shaft, TPS, Map got 5v. Tested pins C!- 2,22 power and grounds all good.Tested for voltage at cluster wiring harness all pins except for grounds have some voltage with key on except the VTSS indicator cavity 1 in the blue connector.

Do you have a scan tool?

no, and the cluster millage doesn't work so it displays no codes.
The odometer not working is an internal cluster failure for sure.It's going to require some testing to determine exactly what is wrong, a scan tool is going to be required to be able to monitor data, see what fault codes are set, what modules communicate, etc. If this problem started when the PCM was replaced then I suspect the replacement PCM is the cause.
The problem was rough running ASD relay chattering and no gauges working before the new PCM. Now truck runs great but still no gauges. Rented a scan tool. Now what?

What fault codes are setting in each module?

In what module?

The same on all moduals

You'll need to test the bus voltages at the cluster then and make sure they agree with other modules. If ok then replace the cluster.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08