Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Had a remote start start put on a 99 Dodge Ram 15 years ago.

Customer Question
Had a remote start...

Had a remote start start put on a 99 Dodge Ram 15 years ago. Gave the truck to son who lost remote. He cut off the remote start now truck won’t start :( hate to pay 2 1/2 hour towing to deal any suggestions?

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Now but the alarm dings when I turn them on & yes battery fully charged

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying ....got the extra original remote but it doesn’t work it either he required it back after removing the remote start

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/18/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 8 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Does the engine crank over and not start or not crank over at all?

What size engine do you have?

318 not turn over at all

Thank you for that information.

In the position that you are in now, I would recommend that you diagnose it. That will get you the desired results.

Would you like me to help walk you through this diagnoses or would you simply like me to list some possible causes for you?

Walk through

Sounds good.

Start by checking the inputs to the starter relay with the key turned to the crank position. You will need an assistant to help with this. It needs two powers and one ground to operate. You can use a test light or a voltmeter to check this.

Let me know!

Tested 2 grounds 1 power
Can you send me a list of options the weather is turning bad, thank you for time!

So your saying the relay is missing one power?

The most common would be a blown fuse or faulty ignition switch provided the wiring is good (and this is an auto transmission).

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Checked fuses they are good, & it is an automatic transmission

Ok, then based on the information you have provided, it is likely a faulty ignition switch.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Forgot to say the anti theft light is on.

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Don’t have a tester ......& in a remote area :)

Got it! No problem.

That will be your next step when your able as well as trying another ignition key.

I would also recommend testing power in and out of the ignition switch like I mentioned above.

I am glad I can help!

Do you have any further questions?

No thank you, ***** ***** someone with a portable computer.

Sounds good you are welcome. I am glad I can answer all of your questions.

Have a great day and please dont forget to rate.