Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Using a lot of oil in my 6.7 Cummins, but the truck runs…

Using a lot of...

Using a lot of oil in my 6.7 Cummins, but the truck runs great and I don't notice much smoke coming out of the exhaust. I will notice some black smoke when I get on it but nothing at normal driving.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

1000 miles ago, I am burning about 1 quart every 500 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2011 Ram 2500 Cummins

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Was going to check exhaust tube on turbo as I've read that bad turbo seals could cause this problem, but if it is likely that there is something very expensive wrong with my engine, I'd rather sell it and buy something else

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

11/18/2017
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Do check the turbo pipes in and out on the intake and exhaust side for oil there. Also remove the oil cap and lay it on the hole you removed it from at an angle. If it blows off while running then you have excessive crankcase blow by from piston ring and cylinder wall damage.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

The cap does teeter around when taken off but does not fall off. The crazy thing is the truck runs great

Can you feel alot of air blowing out form the oil fill?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/616a3pegpaez0bi/Video%20Nov%2017%2C%2010%2004%2039%20PM.mov?dl=0

I would say that is excessive.

blowing out one candle

blowing out 20 candles

sneezing

blowing a dog hair out of your mustache

snorting out nose to free a tickling hair.

Guess, give or take how much air is felt blowing out.

I would call it a puff of air every second or two. It’s not constant and I would say the force would blow out 1 candle. If you think it’s excessive, what is the prognosis? Does that mean my engine is basically bad?

1 candle puff that is not all that bad for an engine with some miles. A crankcase pressure test could be ran to verify, since it is a puff puff not constant that does mean one cylinder is getting more combustion into the crankcase than the others. I would move onto checking for a leaking turbo seal.

That was my plan after doing my own research online but I wanted to check with a real mechanic like yourself to make sure I was heading in the right direction. The truck is deleted so that by itself wouldn’t cause this, right? My father in law was a ford mechanic for 30 years and he said he would help me take off the turbo this weekend to see if there’s oil in the exhaust tube or if the turbine wiggles back and forth. What do you think the dealer would charge to diagnose the problem, ballpark if you could guess
I’m burning a quart of oil every 500 miles
Have 107,000 miles on it

Diagnostics at a dealership for this concern about 200$ as ling as they can check the turbo and pipes to and from it without removing the turbo.

I actually have a Ford 7.3 leaking oil in the turbo and plan to rebuild it with new seal and bushing and billet wheel after T day.

Is one quart every 500 miles within possibility of a bad turbo seal?

There is not actually a spec for you leak this amount and its a bad turbo seal.

This is a bad turbo seal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgPF0yJxWY0 It is going to run out of oil in a couple of minutes. A small leak can use barely any oil, a large leak can use alot. Visually is the only way to tell if its the turbo.

Wow; thankfully, mine is not that bad. I’m worried it may not be he turbo because there’s not much smoke that comes out of my exhaust so I’m wondering where the hell all the oil is going

That video was minor there are much worse ones.

You will not get alot of smoke from the additional oil.

For example I hate the current diesel fuel, it has no power and no lubrication. I use apple juice jugs and mix 4 ounces of Diesel Klenn, 4 ounces of outboard TCW3 oil, then fill the rest of the jug with used motor oil. Every fill up I add it to my fuel. No smoke, more power, quieter injectors, interstate 27 mpg. My 00 7.3 truck has no emissions so no harm to anything.

Another example my 07 kubota MX5000 50HP tractor. In the summer I use no diesel fuel. 100% used transmission oil. A lot more power, more fuel economy, runs like a champ, no smoke (unless it gets below 50 degrees) below 50 I use half and half. I have access to all the used oil I want as a tech.

Diesels can burn oil and not smoke.

We will pull the turbo and let you know how it goes

Super

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician