Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My spare tire on my Dakota starts to lower when I crank it…

Customer Question
My spare tire on my...
My spare tire on my Dakota starts to lower when I crank it but only comes down halfway before going back up. What can I do to remove my spare?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/17/2017
Dodge Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

Sounds like the cable is pinched so it won't unroll all the way. When it gets as far down as you can get it try kicking the tire enough to pull on the cable and bounce the tire. That should pull it out where it is pinched so it doesn't roll back up again. If you can get it down to the point you can lift one side of the tire enough to turn the hanger sideways to slip it through the center hole you can work on the tire retainer later.

Let me know how I can help

Thanks

Thanks I'll try it in a few days.

OK, I want you to understand what is happening. The cable has become pinched under itself so either pull, bounce or hit it til you get that loop to come out from the others that are pinching it. If you can get the tire down enough to tip it up on one side to remove the hanger from the center it will take the weight off it. If you need to you can put a cinder block or a log under one side to give you a higher point to lift against when you tip it.

Please let me know if you have further questions, if nothing further please complete the rating

Thanks