Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2012 Ram 6.7 diesel that continues to take out the…

Customer Question
I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 Ram 6.7 diesel that continues to take out the number 6 injector. I sent in the injector for testing and it fails a fuel return test. Any idea what would cause this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Results were TP2 actuation time 1700 pressure 180 measurement time 90 set value 150.3 +-12.4 actual value 154.55, set value 34.52+-24.5 actual value 59.53. If that means anything to you.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

3 injectors on this cylinder failed in the last 1,000 miles. Trying to determine cause.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/17/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 7 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Contamination in the fuel system is the number one cause for injector failures. Did you drop the fuel tank to inspect for the possibility of contamination in the fuel...

#6 tends to be the first one to fail when there is contamination in the fuel. Simple reason being is that the #6 injector is at the rear of the fuel rail. Any contamination present in the fuel tends to make it to number 6 injector first...

At this time, I recommend to pull the fuel tank and inspect for contamination. Clean the tank and flush the fuel lines, remove and flush out the fuel rail (replacement of the fuel rail is HIGHLY recommended). Clean out the cylinder head return fuel passages and replace fuel filter with a factory part..

After fuel system is absolutely clean, there should no longer be injector failures on #6.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer! .